Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how do you

store homemade nut butters? We can only use peanut free almond butter, which we can't find a guaranteed peanut free in locally so we are going to make some. I know its suppose to be easy, but other then storing in the fridge there isn't any other info on storing that I can find. How long can it be stored? Will I smell it if it goes rancid?

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: how do you

I wish I could answer with certainty from first hand experience. I make almond butter once per week, and since it gets eaten within the week, I have no idea if it could last longer or not. I used to buy almond butter by the gallon and it would keep in the fridge for a month. It was just raw almonds (probably cross contaminated, unfortunately) so I'd guess homemade could fare just as well, it just doesn't last that long here. I just decided that almonds were cheaper per lb than almond butter and so I should make it myself. I still haven't found a source for truly raw almonds tho. The closest I can get to raw are steam pasteurized organic almonds, so if you come across a source for truly raw, please share!! I hate it that with nuts "raw" just means not roasted. It makes it difficult to get what you really want.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you

We have to stick to blue diamond almonds because they are the only ones we can find that are guaranteed peanut free. We planted almond trees last year but it will be a several years still before we get anything from them.

I think I will just start with 2 cups of almonds and see how it goes. I don't know if we'd eat enough to make it regularly though. We're so use to not eating anything like that anymore. We've been peanut free (pretty much nut free because of cross contamination except blue diamond almonds) for 4 years now. We don't even think about nut butters anymore. But I have been wanting to try it, we've never even tasted almond butter. We love almonds though so I have high hopes.