Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is it with breastfeeding???

I'm glad it isn't only me, that thinks this way.

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm. I am all for breastfeeding, and will do my best this time around to do it as long as possible. However- I can see how some women find it easy to give up, so I don't judge.

It's tough- my baby DID have a horrible latch and we saw 3 different lactation consultants before we got it right. I also had horrible supply fluctuations and ended up with mastitis so bad in my right breast that I completely stopped producing from that side.

Complications arise. That's life.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannbannan View Post
Hmmm. I am all for breastfeeding, and will do my best this time around to do it as long as possible. However- I can see how some women find it easy to give up, so I don't judge.

It's tough- my baby DID have a horrible latch and we saw 3 different lactation consultants before we got it right. I also had horrible supply fluctuations and ended up with mastitis so bad in my right breast that I completely stopped producing from that side.

Complications arise. That's life.
Couldn't agree more! I had mastitis THREE times in one month.
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I think that it's a lot of things, lack of education, unrealistic expectations, lack of help/support, and the fact that it's easier to quit than to find out what's really going on sometimes. I've bf'd both my babes and I am a pretty big proponent for bfing, I think that they're are really only a few instances that a mom is physically/psychologically unable to bf.

Last edited by foodie.yarnie.mommie.; 04-03-2008 at 09:12 PM.
foodie.yarnie.mommie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish they offered more education. I wish these mothers had the opportunity to experience breast feeding longer. It's not for everyone - but it's one of my greatest pleasures as a Mom. I was expecting to hate it - I'm just glad that I sought out help when problems arose - 3 kids later and 42 months total of breastfeeding and counting - I wish I could get the information out there. I saw an episode the other day - and I just wanted to reach out to the new Mom. I felt so bad that she quit thinking that she had failed because she had no milk on day 2. Times like that make me wish we had more money spent on education and lactation consultants. I have no problem if she had quit because she didn't want to breastfeed - but to feel like a failure at providing for your newborn - my heart sank.
On a personal note - impressed with your insight at 18 - I thought breastfeeding was gross when I was 18. Hopefully a sign of changing times?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

woah nelly! OP vanished!
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

huh? i'm curious as to what the original post said.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oops! Double post!

Last edited by passthepickles; 04-03-2008 at 09:24 PM.
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimibella View Post
I think that it's a lot of things, lack of education, unrealistic expectations, lack of help/support, and the fact that it's easier to quit than to find out what's really going on sometimes. I've bf'd both my babes and I am a pretty big proponent for bfing, I think that they're are really only a few instances that a mom is physically/psychologically unable to bf.

While I agree with you on some levels- I certainly don't think all (or even half) of mothers who quit do it because of those reasons. I think that without a network of people who AP (or even just breastfeed in this case) new moms- expecially first time moms- tend to parent in the way that the media portrays as "mainstream."

How often do you see a celebrity breastfeeding? Rarely. Even if they do it- it isn't talked about. If it *is* talked about, the media diaplays those moms as the "hippies." I always think about a story I saw on Inside Edition a while ago that showed Kate Hudson nursing her son Ryder. It was all over the news because he was over a year old *gasp!*

If you were a new parent and had NEVER been exposed to a group like diaper swappers, or LLL or anything? If you hadn't given breastfeeding much thought up to that point... which way would you go? Probably toward formula feeding. The popular view is that formula is just as healthy as breastmilk (true or untrue as that may be) and with all of the formula commercials and coupons and samples being jammed down your throat- I think a lot of people just don't think it's a big deal- because it's what EVERYONE ELSE does.

Make sense? I'm tired.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
huh? i'm curious as to what the original post said.
She was curious why a lot of mothers quit breastfeeding. Her question *probably* could have been phrased a little better. It came across as slightly offensive, IMO.