Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
hib vaccine

Quick question...

does hib vaccine give life long immunity?

little sprout is 2 now so I was looking over the vaccines his ped said he would be up for

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: hib vaccine

HIB isn't as serious once he hits 5 so they don't recommend boosters. It is a series shot though. The schedule calls for at least two shots before one and a booster between 12 and 15 months. I'm surprised the doctor waited until your child was two before suggesting it.

No vaccination guarantees a lifetime of immunity, but it will protect him better than not having it which is the goal of most vaccines. HIB is more often spread by someone who doesn't show any signs of being sick so the chances of you knowing he was exposed are slim to none. And since the vaccine has dropped the cases of HIB, a lot of medical personnel don't know what it is until it gets to the scary point.

Good luck with your decision.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hib was one my dr was very adamant about since we're only selectively doing them. He's big on the pneumococcal as well, Prevnar.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Two does seem late.

I might be mistaken in which one that is, but if it's the Meningitis vaccine, i'd have thought they'd give him that sooner. Can you check to see if maybe they didn't write it down correctly?

My daughter had meningitis twice. Both times were awful, but the spinal tap is the worst parenting experience ever. That, and baby Xrays. It's been 20 years, and i'm still traumatized.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
Two does seem late.

I might be mistaken in which one that is, but if it's the Meningitis vaccine, i'd have thought they'd give him that sooner. Can you check to see if maybe they didn't write it down correctly?

My daughter had meningitis twice. Both times were awful, but the spinal tap is the worst parenting experience ever. That, and baby Xrays. It's been 20 years, and i'm still traumatized.
^^ This is actually the reason I did the meningitis vaccine. My friend's baby, maybe 4wks?, had a high fever and they took her to the ER and they had to do a spinal tap because she didn't have the vaccines yet. She said a spinal tap on a 4wk old baby was the WORST experience of her life and wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy. My DS6 hasn't had the DTAP and when he was sick last winter I consented to the Pertussis test because he had no immunity to it and already had both Flu A & B plus other viruses. It was an awful winter! He didn't have it but I consented to testing since it is possible. Of course it goes to the CDC and state health dept and he has to give us abx since it takes a few days. It was just a single dose 5 day Zithro so not horrible like a 3x/ day for 10 days Cefdinir or something. To me the benefits outweigh the risk on that one.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only vaccines we've done on our babies are HIB and Prevnar. Those are the big deals for us, our doctor and the CDC rates and information confirmed for us that those warrant doing. Having had pertussis in two toddlers last year and seeing how awful it is, though I detest the instability and reactions of the DTaP vaccine, my new babies will receive DTaP on schedule.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dtap, hib and prevnar were the three we did earliest as well, we delay most but in talking with our ped and researching, we felt it important to get them when our babies were relatively tiny.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote