Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: School supply lists

The list for our preschooler came in the mail last week. He starts school on Aug. 26th. I just bought everything today.

The list for our 6th grader in on the school website. DH usually just gives her mom money and then her mom buys everything. She starts school on August 19th.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

Our school offers a kit and I went ahead and did it this year. They made it sound like the lists were so specific I just didn't want to deal with it. $38 and she gets exactly what she needs. This is our 1st yr (Kinder) so I'll be interested in seeing what I think of the kit and the value for the money. I figured it's good to avoid the running around part so worth the try this yr. Wish me luck lol!

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

ours have been on the website all summer (and pretty close, if not exact, to what they were last year). We have district lists, and walmart has had them out since they put up the school supply displays.

ETA-
My soon to be kindergartners list is pretty simple
-12 #2 pencils
- 3 16ct boxes of crayola crayons (I only buy crayola, but theyre getting 24ct boxes, just like they did last year in prek when they wanted the 8 ct)
-1 pair 5in blunt fiskar scissors
-2 wide ruled composition books
-1 9x12 loose assorted construction paper
- 1 box broad tip classic crayola markers
- 4 pocket folders with brads in different colors
- 1 elmers white glue 8oz
- 4 elmers glue stick (2pk)- I wasnt sure if this wanted 4 glue sticks, or 4 2 pks, so i bought 8 glue sticks
-1 plastic supply box
-1 200 ct box of kleenex

I don't mind the brand requests, I work in a daycare, so I know the quality difference, in say, off brand crayons and markers vs crayola, or cheap glue vs elmers, and it is terrible to have scissors that dont cut. I got almost everything (I had crayons, markers, and pencils stocked up at home, and still need to get kleenex) for about $13 at walmart. I bought a huge pack of construction paper too, because I figure the teachers will need it, and I'll probably buy an extra box of kleenex too

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!

Last edited by armywife2002; 07-30-2013 at 09:19 PM.
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ticonderoga pencils are the best. They last so much longer and cannot just be sharpened away like cheap pencils. Although, if they want it that specific you'd think they'd just buy in bulk and do kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyltc View Post
Around here those are generic lists that Walmart puts out and they are not school or teacher specific. I hate that they do that.

We got ours at the end of the year last year, so we need to start shopping.
That's not at all helpful!
Here they have an area with lists and you find your school and grade. I know it's not all the same because some schools have crazy long lists and others have short ones. The only school they didn't have a list for, my kids' private school, and it's available online.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just bought school supplies for my cousins children and it was ridiculous ! I am SOOOOO glad I don't have to buy this mess for my kids every year.

Kindergarten
1- pkg. 50 ct. 9X12 manila paper (no tablets)
1 – 70 page spiral notebook
1 – 9X12 1st grade tablet (red and blue line) Could not find
2 – 8 ct. Crayola crayons (no jumbo)
4 – 24 ct. Crayola crayons
1 – 8 oz ELMER"S glue They don't make 8oz only 7.6 so that is what I got
12 – ELMER"S glue sticks
1 – plastic school box – 8X5 (no larger)
1 – CRAYOLA watercolor set
1 – pair scissors, blunt 5” metal w/plastic handle
1 – pkg, 6ct. American made #2 wooden pencils
1 – big pink eraser
1 – tri-fold rest mat
3 – plastic folders (3 brads, 2 pockets)
2 – boxes facial tissue (200 ct. minimum) Surprisingly hard to find
1 – box baby wipes
1 – box ZIPLOC bags w/zippers, quart size (girls)
1-box ZIPLOC bags w/zippers, gallon size (boys) I got the ones with the sliders.? I'm assuming that is what they meant by zipper.?
1-pkg. 50 ct. 9X12 assorted construction paper (no tablets)
1-backpack
1- EXPO dry erase marker
1-box 8 or 10 ct. CRAYOLA markers
1-zipper pencil bag (3 holes)
1-bottle hand sanitizer
1-pkg. primary colored copy paper (no card stock)

First Grade
7- Plastic pocket folders with brads
2-200 ct. boxes of facial tissue This was surprisingly hard to find as most only have 170-180 tissues per box
1- 8ct. CRAYOLA washable markers
10- ELMER'S glue sticks-dry
68-American made #2 pencils (wood) WHAT in the world are they going to do with that many stinking pencils!!!
1-plastic art box, 8x5
6-bar erasers, pink
1-pair sharp pointed scissors, metal with plastic handles
6-16 ct. boxes of CRAYOLA crayons Yeah because the 24pk on sale is too many
1-backpack – no rollers
2-4oz. bottles of ELMER'S school glue (white)
1-8oz. hand sanitizer
2-pkgs. antibacterial wipes (large size)
1-pkg. multi-colored computer paper (prefer bright colors)
2-EXPO dry erase markers (black)
1-pkg. manila paper - 9x12
2- jumbo stretchable book covers/must fit 11x9 in book
1-box ZIPLOC zipper sandwich bags (boys only)
1-box ZIPLOC zipper gallon bags (girls only)
4 handwriting tablets-grade 1,2,3 , 1/2” Ruling/Red Base Line 11 x8 in I had no idea what they wanted?
3 packs of wide ruled notebook paper

Last edited by AbbieJack; 07-30-2013 at 09:13 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, some of you have really long lists. Ours are pretty simple - I think I need 8 thinks for dd2 (K) and maybe 15 for dd1 (3rd) and all of it is practicle and pretty normal quantities.

For all those complaining that a kid needs an 8 pack of crayons (and those are never on sale). I actually asked dd1's K teacher when she was in K about that. They only want a box of 8 because when they ask them to color red they want them to have 1 red to pick from. She said several kids barely know colors that multiple shades of one color make it hard to know if the kid really followed directions (if a kid picked red-orange to color in where they meaning it to be red like the directions said or was it orange). It is easier on the kids to just have 1 color option to pick from. Then the teacher knows that a kid has his/her colors down.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #27
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, some of you have really long lists. Ours are pretty simple - I think I need 8 thinks for dd2 (K) and maybe 15 for dd1 (3rd) and all of it is practicle and pretty normal quantities.

For all those complaining that a kid needs an 8 pack of crayons (and those are never on sale). I actually asked dd1's K teacher when she was in K about that. They only want a box of 8 because when they ask them to color red they want them to have 1 red to pick from. She said several kids barely know colors that multiple shades of one color make it hard to know if the kid really followed directions (if a kid picked red-orange to color in where they meaning it to be red like the directions said or was it orange). It is easier on the kids to just have 1 color option to pick from. Then the teacher knows that a kid has his/her colors down.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy

That makes sense. I was thinking I would just buy the sale one when our DSs are in school, but I will have to remember the reason behind the request!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Our district puts out supply lists for the following school year in February, but I switched my kids to a brand new charter school for the upcoming year and they just posted their list a couple of weeks ago. I'm waiting for tax-free weekend to shop, which is this weekend.

What annoys me--and I just know will happen to me because these types of things tend to happen to me--is that my 5th grade daughter, who is on the wait list for the charter school my boys are going to, has a different supply list for the two schools. I am going to buy the supplies for her school, and then I just know a month into the year she will get in at the charter school and I will have to buy a new list of supplies.

There are 15 items on the "public school" list and 17 items on the "charter school" list and only 5 items in common.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #30
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm okay with most of the stuff on the school list, but I am a bit annoyed with

1" "clearview binder": it should have a clear plastic sleeve on front and back cover. It also needs inside pockets.

And

Your child's teacher may request additional supplies.

Those two things annoy me.