Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
package supposidly arrived half empty, what to do?

mailed some diapers. Mama got them, said she got half, not all. Did not mention at first if there was damage (mailed in a polymailer) then she sent a pic, has po tape saying something about being resealed by usps.

Mailed parcel post. I did not insure, she did not request it to be insured.

If she is honest, then somehow the sealed well polymailer came open and half the diapers came out and usps resealed the bag and bag continued to her. If she is being dishonest then somehow bag was resealed by them but all diapers might have still been in the bag when it arrived.

I have no way of knowing. She asked me if I sent x amount or all or in separate shipments. I sent all in one bag at one time.

I have NEVER had an issue like this. How do I know what to do? Do I partial refund her? Or does she lose out? I have my receipt, the proof of how much the bag weighed when I mailed it. And if the diapers ended up OUT of the bag somehow, where on earth would they have gone assuming a postal worker didn't steal them? I really have no idea what to do and am totally bummed about this right now.

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: package supposidly arrived half empty, what to do?

It's your responsibility as the seller to get items to the buyer. If there was USPS tape then I'd definitely believe her. It's crazy what happens behind the scenes. You need to partially refund her. It's not up to the buyer to pay for insurance, it protects the seller.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep, you have to partially refund her. I sold a gift card and the small box I sent it in was empty with a stamp from the post office on it- I refunded the buyer $45 (what she paid for the gift card). It was the right thing to do and even if I didn't want to do it paypal would have made me.

Now whenever I sell anything I insure it out of my own pocket, unless it is something that I can afford to eat the cost of it it gets lost in the mail. It stinks.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Insurance is the responsibility of the seller not the buyer. She doesn't need to ask for it.

As far as the diapers, find out which ones were missing. Call each and every stop along the way from your PO to her mail box. Ask them if any have been found.

I had a package that was damaged very badly in transit. So badly the PO repackaged it. (It was coming to me) When I received it, it was in an entirely different package than was originally sent in. Fortunately it had been bagged and then packaged for shipping so all arrived to me, just repackaged. However, since it took 3 weeks to arrive, I was calling the different stops. One of the stops mentioned having some unknown yarn(my package contained yarn) in their lost and found. They had no idea who it belonged to. So it is still possible to recover your lost diapers, if it is worth it to you. I don't know how much your diapers cost, so don't know if it is worth the headache of tracking them down without guarantee of success.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the bag was resealed by the PO, it is a pretty good indication that there was a problem. As previous posters have mentioned, it is not the buyers responsibility to ask for insurance, as it is for your protection for cases like this. It stinks, but I think you need to do a partial refund.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Paislie98
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately yes, all the above is correct. I've had pkgs been opened in transit too and had to partially refund once and the other time I was able to substitute another item. Goodluck!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

a polymailer could very easily have gotten caught in a machine and torn open. I agree with those who said to call all the stops to see if you can find the pieces. If not, then yes, you owe the buyer a refund.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I would think that since you have proof of how much they weighed on your receipt, then it's not on you? Buyer beware? But I am in the minority, obviously. I would, however, call all the Post Office stops along the way.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
This is why I never ship parcel post - you would not believe how they treat those packages! I once bought a box of fabric sent parcel and when I received it, the entire side was caved in because very obviously, someone kicked the crap out of it. Never again did I send or buy something involving Parcel Post.

As a seller, you need to refund for the cost of the missing diapers because you didn't purchase shipping insurance.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
I would think that since you have proof of how much they weighed on your receipt, then it's not on you? Buyer beware? But I am in the minority, obviously. I would, however, call all the Post Office stops along the way.
What you said makes sense but Paypal doesn't see it that way. They are the holy grail of shipping lol.