Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
boys4me
Registered Users
seller

Storing Expressed Breastmilk...

I am due in 2 months, but need to refresh my memory on storing expressed breastmilk. (Haven't had a nursing baby in 8 yrs) I work from home and pretty much will always have the baby with me, so won't have a huge stash, but do like the option of letting my husband or boys feed the baby and just like the baby to be familiar with using a bottle too, in case he'd need to use one. So how long can you store out of the fridge fresh? How about once you've thawed it? How long can it be refrigerated before needing to be frozen or used? Is it best to freeze right after pumping rather than it sitting in the fridge for a few days and then freezing? How long can it be stored in the freezer? We have an upright freezer, not a chest one and I know before it was recommended not to store it on the door because it didn't freeze as well or maybe stay frozen as well?? Okay anything else you can think, let me know too. I have a Medela electric pump for home and an Advent manual pump for when I'm out and about and might need to pump. Oh ya, what do you recommend to store milk in? I used the plastic zipper bags before made for pumped milk.

Advertisement

boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
KateandJason
Registered Users
seller

Re: Storing Expressed Breastmilk...

I used the Medela bags with pump. You can store milk in fridge for 24 hours and in freezer for 3 to 4 months. Of the top of my head I believe milk can sit on counter for up to four hours BUT I would caution that and double check that just in case. I think a deep freezer is 6 months....If you still have the instruction booklet that came with your pump, they have a nice table in there. Or you can go to LLL or Jack Newman's site and get more info on that.

I also put right in the freezer after pumping. I go back and forth with this. For food cooling things off before putting it in freezer is ideal. But for veggies-flash freezing keeps the most nutrition...so I don't know which one keeps the most nutrition. BUT you sound like me-are not really separated from your baby too much ( I work from home too) and mostly breastfeed so you may not have to put too much thought into this one... I have nursed all my kids (six years straight now and still going with a newborn!) and have rarely had to used pumped bottled milk so there may be some others comments that have more experience with it. Hope this helps a bit!
KateandJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
boys4me
Registered Users
seller

Thank you!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I thought 24 hours in the fridge was only for thawed milk, but if you express it and then put it in the fridge it's like 5-7 days.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
I thought 24 hours in the fridge was only for thawed milk, but if you express it and then put it in the fridge it's like 5-7 days.
Yep http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...bmstorage2.JPG
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
MorinMommy
Registered Users

very helpful
MorinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
ChicagoGillotts
Registered Users
seller

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/rec...breastmilk.htm
ChicagoGillotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
boys4me
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for the info and the links.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Omywehav3
Registered Users

Milk in fridge for up to 3 days, room temp for 6 hours. Freezer 6 months.
Omywehav3 is offline   Reply With Quote