Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Freezer Meals / meal planning

we just started the feingold diet so I am not meal planning right now I am hoping we have the changes down by the time this baby gets here.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to and have good intentions to freeze some meals, but I know that I will procrastinate and probably not get around to it, especially with how tired I've been getting lately. If I do manage to do some, I'm thinking I'll do some soups (chicken but keep out the noodles or dumplings until after thawed; maybe bean/ham soup; veggie beef?) in addition to lasagne and a hotdish or two. I'm thinking enough to fill the freezer portion of our fridge (bottom freezer section) and putting everything that's in there currently in the deep freeze. That way it's easier to see what I've got available.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Tobipruett
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have always done a double batch when I cook things like hamburger casserole, chili, poppyseed chicken casserole (without the topping), chicken pot pie (without the crust), vegetable soup, etc....whenever I am cooking I just make a double batch and freeze the second for the next week or week after. That makes it really easy to have 3-4 "already" ready meals for days when I know we will be a bit too busy....my family knows sitting down to supper together is mandatory Also, just a helpful hint....when I make these dishes I tend to puree a vegetable or two into the mix so that way I know if that dish is all I have time to make then I am serving a healthy or somewhat healthy meal to my family.
Tobipruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nice tips! This worked great when DH made chili. I froze the leftovers which were enough for 1 meal.

I had to google poppyseed chicken casserole, and it looks super yummy!
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
blondeangel1145
Registered Users

My Mood:

Love this idea, but the problem is that I have no energy or desire to cook on a nightly basis now so I don't know how to get the motivation to make freezer meals as well
blondeangel1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
SuperMom1970
Registered Users

Found that just making an extra portion or two of whatever was being cooked in the two months running up to due date was easiest. You don't have to do anything special that way (except sometimes a bit of mental arithmetic to change the quantities)!
SuperMom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
mamaspice
Registered Users

I keep planning to freeze muffins but DD and I eat the whole batch before I get the chance...
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice
I keep planning to freeze muffins but DD and I eat the whole batch before I get the chance...
LOL, me too. I did a ton of chocolate zucchini bread. And I've a four mini loaf pan. I maded a double batch and managed to save 6. I think I will make some muffins with the the zucchini I have left.

My mixed lot listed here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post17149541
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Maiya2002
Registered Users

My Mood:

I saw some recipes where some of the freezer meals were partially cooked and fully cooked. What do most of you do? Fully cook then freeze? I've made soups already but those were fully cooked. It just seems like more work if you only par cook.
Maiya2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
CaronForEachOther
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have been really getting started on this the past week. I have found that just doubling the recipe for dinners has worked out well because dinner gets made (we get to try the meal) and we add one to the freezer

This week I have tried so far...

White Chicken Enchiladas
http://freezerfriendly.blogspot.com/...nchiladas.html
Our thoughts: This one was REALLY good but if you don't like mushrooms (we love them) I would definitely switch out the cream of mushroom soup for the cream of chicken. Also if you do the onion rather than the onion powder I would recommend that you sauté the onion first.

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/4-...le-day-14.html
Our thoughts: Also very yummy. I split this recipe in half and it was still a good amount. One tip is make sure you pay attention to the fact that the recipe calls for "x cups of COOKED rice". I definitely didnt catch that and measured out the cups in UNcooked rice and wound up with a TON of cooked rice haha... :: pregnancy brain ::