Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I didn't give birth in the tub but I labored in the tub at a hospital. It was very deep and stayed warm the whole time. At least I don't remember getting cold. I put a wash cloth over my boobs. I really liked being in there at first. After awhile I didn't like it because I was floating with nothing to hang on to. Then I couldn't find any comfortable positions and then I got out. The nurse was able to check me with a Doppler.

If I could I would find out the name and model number of that tub and install it in my house. I took two baths in it after the birth. It was awesome.

I say give a shot. If you don't like it, you can just get out.

Advertisement

AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water birth experience

I had 2 home waterbirths and they were wonderful! I didn't tear much at all with my 1st waterbirth baby, didn't even need a stitch (and she was 9.5 lbs), I know there was a lot of water boiling going on to keep it the right temp (we had a thermometer in it and the MWs knew what temp to keep it, they would just bail out some of the cooler water and add hot water, I didn't really pay attention to it, the birth team handled it all (and my mom and DH). For my last baby, I was paranoid I wasn't in labor so I didn't actually get in the tub until a stretchy 9cm (MW arrived 30 min. before DS!) so the water never cooled down...The 2nd time I delivered the placenta in the tub as well, and preferred that to delivering placenta out of the water (it was a tiny bit painful-probably because I had a small tear- out of the water). I LOVED having waterbirths....If I am ever blessed with another baby, I will def. plan another one!!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 2 water birth stories are in my Sig. The bottom line is they were soooooo much better than my dry births
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

My first was a water birth and I loved it so much, I am planning another with this baby. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't be in water! It was so relaxing, made my contractions so much more manageable and I even got so comfortable I told my midwife I was just gonna take a little nap! It was time to push, then.

The tub I was using was a hard sided whirlpool-type that was in a corner; very roomy and deep. They had to drain some water and refill with hot after about an hour b/c I wanted it warmer. But it didn't need to be refilled again. I'd guess every 1-1.5 hrs it would need more hot water.

I did tear a little (2nd degree with 2 stitches) but my labor was also very fast. Water broke at 10 am, arrived at the hospital at 11:15, got in the tub at 12, started pushing around 2 and baby was born at 2:22pm. Not a lot of time for naturally stretching but I feel it would have been much worse out of the water.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
mrsmchugh
Registered Users
seller

I did a water birth for my first (and only) in a hospital with midwife. I will share my experience because it is not 100% rosy. I am so happy I chose it though. The water was great for contractions, and I would love to labor in it again. However, I pushed for three whole hours--which was hell, but maybe would have been worse out of the tub. Anyways, TMI but it was gross. Because I pushed so much, there were BM floating that had to be scooped. Gross. My DH was in there too. I could not have stayed in there without him supporting me. No way I could have been comfortable! But then it is super gross when baby, then placenta come out. Me and my DH are sitting in a pool of blood and other bodily fluids, and it is just gross. I still had a 2nd degree tear. But I am still happy with the experience, just feel I will try a non water birth next time.

When it comes to temperature, I was using a built in tub in a hospital made for water birth so it has a built in heater that they would activate every once in a while. Definitely needed since I was in there for 4 hours!
mrsmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
mrsmchugh
Registered Users
seller

Oops double post!

Last edited by mrsmchugh; 09-03-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: double post
mrsmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil323 View Post
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but how did you keep the water warm enough?

I'm definitely thinking of at least trying to labor in the water (homebirth), but I'm afraid that the water will cool down and/or we will run out of hot water from refilling. We are remodeling our bathroom right now, and we installed a huge corner tub (think it's called a garden tub?) that I'm debating about whether or not it will work or should buy a birth tub (benefit being I could probably donate the tub to my midwife if I use a liner). It seems to stay warm for a long time, but since it's summer, I'm not doing lots of long soaks yet either.
I was in the tub for about 5 hours before I was told to get out. I would have love to stayed in. I was 6cm dilated when I got in and when I got out my body was transitioning to the last stage.

There was one point where they needed more water. But I was in a corner bath tub at the birth center and they just let some water out and put more in. To make it a little deeper than had a silcone thing that went over the faucet so the water level could be higher before tripping the overflow.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ictureid=20422
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmchugh View Post
Thanks for sharing! Def an interesting experience.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

My first two where induction/hospital bed/epidural births. My 3rd was a water birth.

The tub was sort of triangular and quite comfortable. My actual birthing position ended up not being very different from my hospital position. But it was so much more comfortable. I didn't do much laboring in the tub, though I had planned to. I had even though I might labor in the tub and have the baby in the bed. But the baby came so quickly after I got in the tub.

She as my biggest baby at 9lb 12oz, had a nuchal cord with her hand up against her face. But the birth was by far my favorite of all 4 of mine. I didn't have my 4rth in the water because it wasn't convenient. I wish I had. This time around, I really want to get back in the water.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I had 2 water births in a hospital and loved them. I labored in the tub for my first 2, but was not allowed to deliver in the tub due to older policies.

My 2 water births I got in the tub once I hit transition and was almost ready to push. I held onto DH with one hand and the railing with the other. With DS3 I pooped in the tub and they scooped it out with a fishing net. I really could have cared less as I was more interested in pushing my baby out. DS4's birth I did not poop. It was amazing to give birth in the water. I was able to grab each baby on my own and pull him out.

I was too busy with my new baby and nursing to remember giving birth to the placenta and cord. I know it went well and was easy, but do not remember it being horrifying to the water. I got right out of the tub as soon as it was delivered. I was dried off and handed my baby in bed right after.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote