Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Katesela's Avatar
Katesela
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 658
What should I do?

I've been identified as a potential match to donate blood marrow. I was shocked to get the call, I put myself on the registry over 10 years ago! I would love to be able to help someone in this way. More typing has to be done to see if the match is close enough, but I have to decide whether or not to go forward. If I do and I'm selected I won't be able to breastfeed for 10 days due to medication. My daughter is 10 weeks now, She would likely be about six months by the time the donation went through. If I build a big enough freezer stash and then pump and dump, would it be possible to do this without damaging our breastfeeding relationship? I don't want to proceed with the typing unless I'm sure that I'll do it if I match. So conflicted! I love breastfeeding her and would hate to mess it up.

Advertisement


Last edited by Katesela; 08-12-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Katesela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Ainmemphis's Avatar
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,417
I am also on the registry but never thought about getting a call while I had a baby to take care of. It is a wonderful thing to do.for someone but if it's going to put a strain on your family I wouldn't feel bad about declining. Not sure how much work it would be to pump enough for 10 days worth then continue to maintain supply. I have a 6 month old who refuses a bottle and doesn't care for solid food yet so still nurses every 2-3 hours. If it we're me personally I would have to say no however I'm sure there are other mamas out there who have had to go that long or longer without breastfeeding and can give encouragement.
__________________
Andrea -SAHM to Sean 10-09, Owen 1-13, and married to my best friend!
Ainmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: What should I do?

There aren't many medications that are not at least marginally safe while breastfeeding.

As best I can tell, the only medication given is anesthesia while they do the harvesting. You don't have to pump and dump after receiving anesthesia. You only have to be awake enough to breastfeed for it to be safe. You will obviously receive pain medications, but no different than the pain meds that are safe after cesarean. That said, they may not care that you have all the data that says it is safe. They still may consider you unacceptable.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Katesela's Avatar
Katesela
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca
There aren't many medications that are not at least marginally safe while breastfeeding.

As best I can tell, the only medication given is anesthesia while they do the harvesting. You don't have to pump and dump after receiving anesthesia. You only have to be awake enough to breastfeed for it to be safe. You will obviously receive pain medications, but no different than the pain meds that are safe after cesarean. That said, they may not care that you have all the data that says it is safe. They still may consider you unacceptable.
The coordinator said there's a medication I'd need to take for a week before the collection that's not safe for baby, and to wait 3 days after for it to be out of my system. They're fine with me donating, but advise not bf'ing those 10 days.
Katesela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Katesela's Avatar
Katesela
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainmemphis
I am also on the registry but never thought about getting a call while I had a baby to take care of. It is a wonderful thing to do.for someone but if it's going to put a strain on your family I wouldn't feel bad about declining. Not sure how much work it would be to pump enough for 10 days worth then continue to maintain supply. I have a 6 month old who refuses a bottle and doesn't care for solid food yet so still nurses every 2-3 hours. If it we're me personally I would have to say no however I'm sure there are other mamas out there who have had to go that long or longer without breastfeeding and can give encouragement.
She takes a bottle with no problems now, we try to do one a day so she's comfortable with it. I worry that going that long off the boob she won't want to go back :/
Katesela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,317
Re: What should I do?

I think it is possible. If all is gong well right now I think you should be able to just resume nursing. Your supply may dip a bit during the 10 days even with pumping and dumping. However if you do an increased amount of pumping for a few days before starting the meds your supply should be high and not harmed much in the 10 days.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ~*West Coast*~
Posts: 61,873
My Mood:
Re: What should I do?

I personally would do it, I'd pump now and get a good stash going and then do anything I can to help save a life.
I am also on the bone marrow registry, I look forward to being called because I want to help save a life when I am needed.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: What should I do?

If you have the name of the medication, you can contact infantrisk.com to verify whether you really need to avoid breastfeeding during that time. Often people aren't very knowledgeable about what is/isn't safe while breastfeeding.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: What should I do?

http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/show...ght=filgrastim
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 14,609
My Mood:
Re: What should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I think it is possible. If all is gong well right now I think you should be able to just resume nursing. Your supply may dip a bit during the 10 days even with pumping and dumping. However if you do an increased amount of pumping for a few days before starting the meds your supply should be high and not harmed much in the 10 days.
agree.
__________________
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlockscreen , Perk, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, amazon-my habit, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.