Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this normal?

We are not little. DH is tall (not over 6 feet but still tall) and I am tallish. ODS is VERY tall for his age. He is just big too.

I think this one is just a peanut. We have a few in our family. Though honestly YDS has long arms and legs. So it just may be something with him.

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got an appointment with another doctor tonight. If I like this doctor, or if he is just not pushing formula as the answer, then I will switch doctors for both of my children.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
I got an appointment with another doctor tonight. If I like this doctor, or if he is just not pushing formula as the answer, then I will switch doctors for both of my children.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of our peds have pushed formula for our ebf babies- most of the growth charts are for formula fed babies. I only had issues making some supplementing necessary with my first.
If you have researched and feel educated enough to make the decision- do it. It's your decision- the dr can't make you do anything. Firmly say- no thanks- we can check weight at his next normally scheduled check up.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it makes you feel better, my YDD is a tiny girl.

Long story short: We've been having to keep a close eye on her weight since birth. She lost too much after birth and then lost more once we went home. We ended up having to supplement with some formula for a couple of weeks but that was a last resort. Our docs very first recommendation was to visit a IBCLC, he even called to set up the appointment for us. Even though it may be necessary in some cases, I'd be weary of any doc recommending formula supplementing as a first approach.

She just had her 4 month check up yesterday; 10lbs 15oz, 23 3/4inches long. She gains an average of 2.5-3oz per week. She's in the 5%ile for weight and 25th for height.

She's meeting all her milestones and is a happy baby so after this last appt, they decided she doesn't have to go back for any more extra weight checks, unless I want them of course. Her doc said she's just petite and probably always will be.

I hope the new doc you see is supportive of EBF and doesn't push formula. If he does, I'd keep searching
Old 08-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
bronwynhb
Registered Users
seller

Hope the new ped is supportive of BF & it goes well! We've BTDT with the weight gain issues. It's hard. You're doing a great job! 1 oz per day is great!
bronwynhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Met with the new doctor this evening. Seems to be much better then the prior doctor in the fact that he actually had an idea of why my son seems to be a slow gainer. He thinks it may be having to do with his bilirubin. Makes sense since he hasn't been tested since he left the hospital (the second time) at 9 days old. Tomorrow he is 4 weeks old. So I will get that tested at a local hospital and go from there.

He also told me to pump during the day, and feed that to him at night. That seems easy enough. He also thought that maybe my milk wasn't "fatty" enough. So he said that I should eat more fish (omega 3's) and add papaya to my diet. I eat WAP (or at least try to) so fat and me are no strangers. I guess I should just do more of it.

Haven't been able to tell DH what he said, but I did call and cancel the appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully they will not charge us for it.

Sadly the little guy isn't as heavy as I hoped. This morning he was a solid 6# 4 oz. However when weighed this evening he was 6# 2 1/2 oz. Silly poo makes him loose so much!

I am just glad to be moving forward! ODS loves this doctor's office. Which is a shock since he has been to so many in recent months. He likes that there are toys in the waiting room. Sadly this isn't the case with his pediatrician.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's great! For a while I also had to pump after each day feeding and give that at the end of the day. Not only did it increase my supply it ensured DD was getting all that good hindmilk Doc and IBCLC both suspected part of our problem may be my milk not being fatty enough. Omega 3's and coconut oil were recommended to me, papaya is one I haven't heard...I'm going to add that to my diet too.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Your story reminds me of my first. We ended up switching doctors - the first one was SO mean, ripped me apart for just asking questions about vaccinating too... I cried and cried (new hormonal mom!). Once we switched the other doctor was so nice, explained and answered all my questions. Sadly he swiched to a differant department (Occupational Med) so I had to swich again, but this guy is still pretty great and said his children all slept in their room till they were 7!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Daisyduck
Registered Users

I agree you need a new doc. My lil boy was slow at gaining weight but our doc never expected us to come in 3x a week. I just had to bring him in once a week just for weight check. One once a day is awesome weight gain.
Daisyduck is offline   Reply With Quote