Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Smitty241
Registered Users
seller

Daytime nursing problem

My little girl is almost 3 months old. She latches on and nurses perfectly for all night time feedings, but at least once a day she will refuse to latch on despite giving hunger cues. Sometimes when this behavior starts I can get her to latch by squirting milk into her mouth, but sometimes she will just cry and cry and cry until I finally pump and feed her with a bottle. Any ideas why this might be happening??? It's so frustrating, especially since daddy always wants to give her formula when this happens.

Advertisement

Smitty241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Is it the same time? Could she be teething?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Smitty241
Registered Users
seller

Re: Daytime nursing problem

I think it happens most often in the afternoon. I didn't think babies teethed this early? But I really have no idea since this is my first. And now that you mention it, she is drooling a ton and sucking on both hands and anything else she can get in her mouth.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
LoveUsAll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe your flow is too fast or too slow. I would try some different positions. Laid back feeding is always good. Recline yourself and have your baby lay on top of you. She will find your nipple and be satisfied. Or lay her on the bed and lay down next to her.
Jessica- Homebirthing, BWing, Non-Vaxing, Homecooking, Baby loving mama to one DD (9-1-2012) and one more on the way 10/14 and kind of like a stepmama to C(15), H(10), L(9). Happily unmarried to my Renaissance man
LoveUsAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
LoveUsAll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, teething...my DD starting wearing an amber necklace around 4 months. That really seems to help
Jessica- Homebirthing, BWing, Non-Vaxing, Homecooking, Baby loving mama to one DD (9-1-2012) and one more on the way 10/14 and kind of like a stepmama to C(15), H(10), L(9). Happily unmarried to my Renaissance man
LoveUsAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
Smitty241
Registered Users
seller

We lay in bed (on my side) for the night feedings, so maybe that's why those always go smoothly! Will try laying or reclining when she's fussy tomorrow and see if that helps.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good luck and tell ur DH to back off on the formula geez! If you have good milk & enough of it and she is gaining well then he needs to stop trying to give her formula
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
junvwekt
Registered Users
seller

My 5-mo does this sometimes, too. It's so frustrating! I think it was from teething, though. And he started with teething symptoms around 2 months even though he didn't get any teeth until 4 months.

Side-lying nursing helps a lot, for us. Also, sometimes I just need to take a break & distract him for a bit then try again later (easier now that he's older & more curious). Sometimes he will take a bottle of breastmilk but won't nurse. It's weird.

I got really desperate one time and tried to give him formula, but he made his "that's nasty" face, and wouldn't drink it. It kinda made me happy. If you have or can get a pump, you could keep a bottle of milk in the fridge/freezer for her so then your DH can feed her breastmilk instead of formula when this happens.

Just keep up the good work, and don't worry about it too much as long as she is gaining weight. Babies seem to enjoy throwing us off, just when we think we have them figured out.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

same as rest of the advice. could you try lying down to feed for that feeding? My 6 month old loves that side by side for my one side and ok with the craddle, and sometimes a recline on the side by side breast.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my this sounds familiar. Your sweetie sounds just like my baby girl did at that age, and it was always in the afternoon/evening time. I would feel like such a failure when I couldn't nurse her when it seemed like she was hungry. Either my husband or I would walk, bounce, take her outside until eventually she would fall asleep and then wake up ready to eat. She was also drooling and chewing like crazy, then at 6 months old TWO teeth started coming through(on the bottom). It's normal for babies to be "teething" long before you see a tooth.

Your post brought back so many tearful memories! Most of the time I was crying right along with her.

So hang on mama you CAN get through this!!

I hope this helps some!
Due with monkey #6 in August
Etsy Shop
DS WAHM Page
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote