Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Baby signs

Does anyone use this and does it work? Please give examples of age use and so on. Any experiences or stories would be greatly appreciated Thank you.

Advertisement

marelle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby signs

I am not sure if you are talking about sign language or not
so forgive me if you were meaning something else

We taught our ds the sign for milk when he was 6 months olds, only he uses it as "want" instead
He also uses the sign for "more" and "stop or no"

we started working with him at 6 months and he picked up these three signs within about 2 weeks!

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadensmommy
I am not sure if you are talking about sign language or not
so forgive me if you were meaning something else

We taught our ds the sign for milk when he was 6 months olds, only he uses it as "want" instead
He also uses the sign for "more" and "stop or no"

we started working with him at 6 months and he picked up these three signs within about 2 weeks!

Good luck!
Sorry, yes I did mean the book and video for baby sign language. I just bought the video and book. My son is impatient and I'd like for him to be able to tell me what he wants. I'm hoping this works and I want to know if it has for anyone else or if it's a lost cause in even trying. Sounds like it worked for you. I'm hoping he will use this instead of screaming.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

YESS!! It definitely does work. I read about signing when DJ was a baby but I was a little bit skeptical and never bothered with it. When he was about 9 months old, he started doing the signs for the songs "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "The Wheels on the Bus". I was kind of shocked but I figured if he could do those when we were singing, let's see if he can do other signs as well. I got on the internet and started looking up some simple signs that I thought might come in handy and reading about how to teach them and all. He was starting to say a few words around that time but nothing major and not consistently. He would point to something he wanted and we would try to get him to say "please"...that kind of thing. I think he was about 10 months old when he pointed to his cup one day and I did the sign for "Please" while coaxing him to say please. He kind of looked at me funny so I took his hand and did the sign and said the word. He said it so I gave him his cup and forgot about it. Two days later, he was pointing at something he wanted and when I said "Can you say 'please'?" He did the sign and said the word at the same time! I was blown away because I'd only shown him once! From that point on, I started signing all the time..."sleep", "more", "all done", "please", "thank you", "milk", etc. Some of the signs he picked up quicker than others but for the most part I only had to show him a sign a couple of times and he'd start doing it. My mom keeps him while I'm working and she asked me one day what he was doing so I showed her the signs he knew. After that, she got on the internet and started looking up some signs that she wanted to teach him. He was picking them up so fast it was hard for me to keep up! From a year to about 18 months, he kind of took it by spells...sometimes he'd say a word, sometimes he'd do the sign, and sometimes he'd do both...just depending on what kind of mood he was in. He's almost 2 now and mostly he speaks but if we don't understand him, he'll sign as a backup. It's funny that "please" was the first sign he learned because he still does that every time he says it! His signs are not perfect...sometimes we still have to figure out what he's trying to do, but once we see how he's doing a sign, then we can roll with that. For example, the sign for "please" is circling your open palm on your chest. DJ does it with his fist which if I remember right actually means "sorry"! But we're the only ones he needs to communicate with so it works. The sign for "thank you" is touching your fingers to your chin and going out...DJ just "blows a kiss"...but it gets the point across.

My only regret with DJ is that I waited so late to start signing with him. He definitely would have been ready sooner. With this new baby, I plan to start signing to him from birth, at least to some extent. I've read that they start recognizing the signs around 6 months and can start signing back around 9 months. Actually, I think that may be a little late. If you think about it, waving "bye-bye" is a sign and they do that much earlier. Around 4.5 months, DJ would clap his hands to tell us he was done nursing or eating or bang on his high chair tray to say more (yes we started solids early)...those are signs.

I've heard really good things about the "Signing Time" series of videos. I didn't get them for DJ because they're so expensive...I keep watching now hoping that the "early adopters" will have outgrown them and start selling them used but so far no luck. That may be what we ask the in-laws for this Christmas.

I was skeptical at first but I am a true believer now. My mom too...the first time I mentioned it to her, she thought I was crazy and said that it was just a fad and it was the same as the people that insist monkeys can learn to sign...now, like I said, she's teaching all of her daycare kids to sign faster than we parents can keep up. It really does help with the frustration and I love the look of pride on DJ's face when he signs to us and we understand. It's kind of silly but if he asks for something now (he's almost 2...most often he "demands"!), I'll tell him to ask nicely and his face just lights up and he does the sign for "please" and says "Peez".

Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd love to learn more about this too
Old 06-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
YESS!! It definitely does work. I read about signing when DJ was a baby but I was a little bit skeptical and never bothered with it. When he was about 9 months old, he started doing the signs for the songs "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "The Wheels on the Bus". I was kind of shocked but I figured if he could do those when we were singing, let's see if he can do other signs as well. I got on the internet and started looking up some simple signs that I thought might come in handy and reading about how to teach them and all. He was starting to say a few words around that time but nothing major and not consistently. He would point to something he wanted and we would try to get him to say "please"...that kind of thing. I think he was about 10 months old when he pointed to his cup one day and I did the sign for "Please" while coaxing him to say please. He kind of looked at me funny so I took his hand and did the sign and said the word. He said it so I gave him his cup and forgot about it. Two days later, he was pointing at something he wanted and when I said "Can you say 'please'?" He did the sign and said the word at the same time! I was blown away because I'd only shown him once! From that point on, I started signing all the time..."sleep", "more", "all done", "please", "thank you", "milk", etc. Some of the signs he picked up quicker than others but for the most part I only had to show him a sign a couple of times and he'd start doing it. My mom keeps him while I'm working and she asked me one day what he was doing so I showed her the signs he knew. After that, she got on the internet and started looking up some signs that she wanted to teach him. He was picking them up so fast it was hard for me to keep up! From a year to about 18 months, he kind of took it by spells...sometimes he'd say a word, sometimes he'd do the sign, and sometimes he'd do both...just depending on what kind of mood he was in. He's almost 2 now and mostly he speaks but if we don't understand him, he'll sign as a backup. It's funny that "please" was the first sign he learned because he still does that every time he says it! His signs are not perfect...sometimes we still have to figure out what he's trying to do, but once we see how he's doing a sign, then we can roll with that. For example, the sign for "please" is circling your open palm on your chest. DJ does it with his fist which if I remember right actually means "sorry"! But we're the only ones he needs to communicate with so it works. The sign for "thank you" is touching your fingers to your chin and going out...DJ just "blows a kiss"...but it gets the point across.

My only regret with DJ is that I waited so late to start signing with him. He definitely would have been ready sooner. With this new baby, I plan to start signing to him from birth, at least to some extent. I've read that they start recognizing the signs around 6 months and can start signing back around 9 months. Actually, I think that may be a little late. If you think about it, waving "bye-bye" is a sign and they do that much earlier. Around 4.5 months, DJ would clap his hands to tell us he was done nursing or eating or bang on his high chair tray to say more (yes we started solids early)...those are signs.

I've heard really good things about the "Signing Time" series of videos. I didn't get them for DJ because they're so expensive...I keep watching now hoping that the "early adopters" will have outgrown them and start selling them used but so far no luck. That may be what we ask the in-laws for this Christmas.

I was skeptical at first but I am a true believer now. My mom too...the first time I mentioned it to her, she thought I was crazy and said that it was just a fad and it was the same as the people that insist monkeys can learn to sign...now, like I said, she's teaching all of her daycare kids to sign faster than we parents can keep up. It really does help with the frustration and I love the look of pride on DJ's face when he signs to us and we understand. It's kind of silly but if he asks for something now (he's almost 2...most often he "demands"!), I'll tell him to ask nicely and his face just lights up and he does the sign for "please" and says "Peez".

Good luck!
wow thanks so much for all the info. I bought the video used for 9.00 and the book for 0.43. Sounds like I bought it just in time. He'll be six months on the first of July.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

I hope it works out for you! I really found it to be a lifesaver, especially with my firstborn who was high-needs and not an early talker.

It takes consistency and patience, and mostly you just need to keep it fun for YOU...the more you sign to him, the sooner he'll pick it up. Maybe you can get your caregiver involved, that would be GREAT!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't expect any miracles but if you're consistent, I'd be willing to bet that you'll see results pretty quickly. At that age they are just little sponges! And it really is fun...gives you an excuse to learn something new too! Just keep it laid back and give it a try!

Here are a couple of websites that might interest you: http://www.signingbaby.com/main/
http://www.mybabycantalk.com/ (LOVE the video dictionary)
http://www.handspeak.com/tour/kids/
http://deafness.about.com/cs/signfea...abysigning.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Sign
Old 06-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyjoy
I hope it works out for you! I really found it to be a lifesaver, especially with my firstborn who was high-needs and not an early talker.

It takes consistency and patience, and mostly you just need to keep it fun for YOU...the more you sign to him, the sooner he'll pick it up. Maybe you can get your caregiver involved, that would be GREAT!
Good point about the daycare provider...at least let her know what you're doing...can you imagine the frustration when he does start trying to sign and she doesn't "get it"! DH thought it was a little nutso at first but once he saw DJ starting to make the signs, he got on board pretty quick and started signing to him too. I think the consistency really helps.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think my daycare people could do it. There are 3 of them Grandma,mom, and daughter. All are Russian and Engilish is there second language. Except the Grandma can't speak Engilish, but she loves Kaden!! Plus they have other kids. I'll try to teach him and when he starts to sign I'll let them know what each one means. They teach him Russian too. Kinda funny cause I wouldn't know what the heck he'd be saying. They say each word in Russian and then repeat it in Engilish.