Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yogurt failure ?

It tastes great but, without sweetening or fruit it reminds me of sour cream

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

You can add 1/2-1cup of sugar and 1tsp of vanilla extract to your warm milk(assuming you are making 1/2gallon) when you add your culture to flavor it. I use 1/2c of sugar for my children because I always cut storebought flavored yogurt with half plain yogurt in order to cut down on sugar and they didn't notice a difference. If you have extra yogurt that you need to use up, try making yogurt popsicles. That's dessert a lot in this house. Sometimes I put cut up bits of fruit that needs to get used because it's turning bad and squishy. Or just fill an ice cube tray with yogurt that needs to get used up and use them in smoothies later on. It works nicely to prevent waste.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #23
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

OT...sorry..coffeemama..your pittie is BEAUTIFUL!!!

My Food Creations Blog --- Helping You Go Green With Style --- Earn Free Amazon GCs With Me
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #24
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

The yogurt recipe I've always used just says to wrap the crock in a large towel (to retain heat) when you put it into the cold oven. No mention of turning on the light. I'm really surprised that the light would heat up the oven at all.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #25
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post
You can add 1/2-1cup of sugar and 1tsp of vanilla extract to your warm milk(assuming you are making 1/2gallon) when you add your culture to flavor it. I use 1/2c of sugar for my children because I always cut storebought flavored yogurt with half plain yogurt in order to cut down on sugar and they didn't notice a difference. If you have extra yogurt that you need to use up, try making yogurt popsicles. That's dessert a lot in this house. Sometimes I put cut up bits of fruit that needs to get used because it's turning bad and squishy. Or just fill an ice cube tray with yogurt that needs to get used up and use them in smoothies later on. It works nicely to prevent waste.
Great ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldcat View Post
OT...sorry..coffeemama..your pittie is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Thank you, he is actually an American Bulldog. Our city has a Pit ban so we couldnt get one which I think is RIDICULOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
The yogurt recipe I've always used just says to wrap the crock in a large towel (to retain heat) when you put it into the cold oven. No mention of turning on the light. I'm really surprised that the light would heat up the oven at all.
I thought that same thing but with all of my issues w/ it failing I just did it anyway.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #26
punkyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to always use an incubator for making yogurt and since moving (2x in 3 months), I had to resort to store bought. After tons of $$$ down the drain for that, I tried the crockpot method and love making a gallon of yogurt at a time since straining it yields a half gallon or so of greek style. I use my small oven and wrap a big bath towel around the crock insert and let it sit 12 hours or more. So far very successful. I have only used whole mlk to make yogurt, since usually using a lower fat yogurt results in looser yogurt since there are less solids in it. When I first started using an incubator, I would make fat free yogurt by adding in 1-2 cups of powdered milk to the heated milk (per half gallon of milk). (This was back when the doctors told me to manage my acid reflux to eat a low fat diet, but since reading nourishing traditions, I have changed to whole milk and it makes all the difference). Anyways, glad to see others making yogurt.
punkyb is offline   Reply With Quote