Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what point is a baby really too big?

I agree with the rest. Since you've had 2 babies already, I saw keep going unless something else pops up (baby in distress....ect).

My sister's first kid was 11lbs and have a VERY hard 3 day labor (Induced at 42 weeks). She ended up with all sorts of problems. They weren't sure she was able to vaginally birth him. He has a HUGE head, even to this day (he's almost 3), so when she got pregnant with #2, She went to 40 weeks and again, her body had NO indication that it was gonna go into labor on it's own (no effacment, no dialation). At 41 weeks, still no progress and he was guessed to be already 12lbs.
The docs didn't want to try labor again, since she had to many complications with the first big baby.
The did a c/s and he was almost 13lbs.

Advertisement

trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

I can't tell you how many people I know who induced 6lb babies because Dr was convinced the baby was too big. I agree, they can get too big. But I would wait anyhow (assuming no GD). And not go just by measurements. I had a couple of late ultrasounds with my second baby. Dr insisted she wasn't as big as my first (9lb 2oz) and as I was delivering her he even said "She's going to be 8.5 lbs, tops". She was 9lb 10oz, lol. Not a problem though. She came out smooth as my first, and so did my next, slightly bigger baby.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

That is wild, trying4more! I'd have done what she did as well, after that first experience.

That's one thing my ob said when I first started with him was "well, we know you can birth a 9lb baby no problem" and he waited til 42 weeks to induce. But if I had already had a complicated 11lb birth, I'd not screw around the next time.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ultrasound is so very unreliable at this stage. The tiniest miscalculation can be weeks of growth. I was told my twins weighed 3lbs each at 34wks, they were born 5 days later at 4-15 & 6-1! Double the size! But as others said, I've seen women end up in a c/s at 38wks only to have a 7lb baby.
If u/s continues to show the baby on the big side, just be prepared. Don't make major choices based on the info, but keep it in mind.
My 40wk baby was 9-2 and he was the easiest birth by far! My next was an 8lb'er at 39wks but had a huge head and that was awful! My last 2 both weighed 8-10, #5 at 37 & #6 at 38.5wks. I think shoulder/head size and their "thickness" plays a roll in ease of birth. I know women who have had 11+ lb babies naturally and women who couldn't birth an 8-9lb baby. It's so individual to the mom!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Yep I too will tell you DON'T panic. I was told I was having a HUGE baby and was measuring between 4 and 6 weeks BIGGER then I was. He was 7 pounds 11 ounces and my easiest birth.

My bestie had GD and they "had" to section her for this "huge" baby and he was a 7 pounder too.

More concerning are the contractions that early. Have they done a Fetal Fibronectin (sp) test yet to see if you are going to go into labour? Hopefully baby cooks for a few more days to hit at least that 37 and 0 "full term" mark. BTDT with my first being 6 hours past the cut off for being a premie good boy held on for a few more hours so we wouldn't have to stay extra time to monitor
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm 5ft, 130lbs pp, and had a 1 hour labor with a 9lb 15oz baby boy at 42 weeks!

(Jeeze I just reread my post, I must have been half asleep, edited to 42 weeks not 22 weeks.)

And I would also add that my midwife, and the OB I had to see all said that he was going to be little according to the sonograms.....so way off there.

Last edited by tinyblackdot; 09-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
tinyblackdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with several others that they can be way off. My first was born at 40 weeks and they had told me she was about 7lbs she ended up being 9lbs and my last was 34w6d and 4lbs 6oz the ultrasound they did the day before they told me he was 3lbs 1oz
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Is it possible your dates are off? Big baby, early contractions, etc all indicate that possibility.

How big is too big all depends on the woman. My mother has had a woman deliver vaginally no tears a 12lb baby. Then another woman with a 7lber could not deliver without an episiotomy. The last one was stuck until a small cut. Then baby just slipped right out. She really, truly just could not stretch sufficiently. So really that is very hard to answer for you as too big varies from woman to woman.

My sister is 5' 3" with average bone structure. She delivered without tears a 10lb 13 lb baby at home.
agree. I know a bigger gal that had a 7-8 pound and was like me a small build in that we ripped with kids the first. my second a was 6 pounds and fell out and my 3rd was 9 pounds and yet miracles go I didn't rip at all.

I know another that had 10pound and up kids too that is slightly bigger than I and my sil who had a smaller baby had a c section.

they could be off!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #19
Firerose_RCM
Registered Users
Formerly: ClothGirl21

They told my cousin her baby boy ( second pregnancy) was going to be tiny and to buy preemie clothes for him. He was a scheduled c-section and they made her wait until almost 40 weeks to have him. He came out at 8lbs10oz! He did not fit preemie clothes to say the least.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #20
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Those measurements are notoriously wrong I both directions. This is from my own personal experience. My baby #2 was post dates so they started checking how big he was. The estimate was 8 1/2 lbs. Four days later I had an 11lb 1/2oz baby in a precipitous uncomplicated birth. Baby #5 was estimated HUGE causing all kinds of hoopla with the medical team. They were estimating he would be close to 12lbs at birth. He was born just under 10lb. Late ultrasound measuring has been equated to measuring someone for pants who is laying in a tub of water in the next room. Also, please keep in mind that your body is different (worn out) in subsequent pregnancies so that could make baby feel "bigger" to you. Unless you have GD or have gained an unusual for you amount of weight I bet you will be just fine.