Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: At what point is a baby really too big?

I going to go with trust your body. Don't like the dr scare you. You've done it before and you can do it again. For my last no one scanned his for size and now I'm especially glad of it. I just had a baby, dr don't know everything... we're mothers our bodies know birth.

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I going to go with trust your body. Don't like the dr scare you.
Agree! My doctor wanted to induce for my "large for gestational age" baby and used scare tactics to get me to agree. My 38 week growth scan estimated 8 lb 13 oz. I refused to schedule the induction. I was, however, ultimately induced at 41 weeks because of pre-eclampsia. My LO was born at 9 lb 3 oz.

In the absence of a known medical issue (GD, etc), I would trust your body 100%!
Registered Nurse turned SAHM to R , wife to D
rae0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
7 for now
Registered Users
I had a vaginal, posterior 10 pound 5 ounce baby with no tears or anything. She was number 7 for us. She was measuring 8.5 pounds at 36 weeks and born at 40-1 weeks. I refused to have an induction but my doc never recommended it as ACOG no longer recommends inductions for macrosomia.

There was no question in my mind that she would be big...I outgrew all my maternity clothes in the belly except one pair of overalls. I never did that before.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by 7 for now; 09-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
Registered Users

It's something I worry about, actually. My grandma was a tiny thing, 5 feet tall, and had 9 huge babies naturally with no problems. My aunt, on the other hand, is several inches taller and stockier. Her 9.5 pound baby (no GD) was legitimately too big, almost killed her and has suffered a lifetime of severe issues.

Voice your concerns to your OB and the nurses on staff.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #25
Registered Users

Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post
I'm usually the first person to start preaching and lecturing about how babies don't typically grow "too" big. Ultrasound weight estimates aren't dependable. OBs are c-section happy. Most women can vaginally birth a 10+ lb baby. I get all that. People do have 16 pound babies though. That's obviously too big. Where do we draw the line?

I ask because I'm carrying a very big baby this time around. I'm a little nervous. This will be my 3rd birth. My first, DS, was 8lbs 8oz at 42+2. My second, DD, was 8lbs 12oz at 40+0. Today, I'm 36+2 with my third. I've been measuring a couple of weeks ahead with this pregnancy. I never measured ahead with the other two. This baby just feels big to me.

I went in for my 36 week appointment with my midwife this morning. The baby's heartrate was 198 on the office doppler. They immediately did an ultrasound. The baby was crazy active through the ultrasound and his heartrate ranged from 165-198. The ultrasound weight estimate was 8lbs 9oz. His head and stomach are both measuring 41+3.

They sent me over to the hospital for additional monitoring, bloodwork, and IV fluids. In the end, they sent me home and said that they think I was dehydrated and that he was just extra spunky and got his heartrate up with all of his activity. I don't know what to make of it all. I'm having contractions every 7 minutes or so. They aren't hard, but they are consistent. I'm 2cm dilated and 70% effaced.

I kind of have a feeling that he's coming sooner than later. If that's the case, his size is irrelevant. I can push out an 8lb kid. I didn't even tear with either of my other two. What if I go another month though? His head measures 41+3! How much bigger could it possibly get? At what point does it become irresponsible not to induce? I don't want to have a 12lb baby!
ACOG says induction doesn't reduce a woman's risk of shoulder dystocia and so they tell the doctors to leave induction decisions upto the mama. "too big" is all relative. For me, "too big" was 9lbs8oz. For 2 of my friends (both with 3rd babies) "too big" was 9lbs3oz and the other 10lbs. All of our babies were shoulder dystocias... 2 with injuries, 1 with none (the smallest was without injury).

I would voice your concerns to your OB and then talk with him about shoulder dystocia (the risks/red flags/etc). Maybe make an agreement with him that if you show 2+ signs (or even 1... whatever your comfort level is) during labor, that you are fine being whisked away for a c-section. Having a plan and making sure he knows the red flags of s/d during labor off the top of his head might help ease your mind.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote