Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
HisFadedStar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Crazy child care price? Was my offer insulting?

Ok, so I am looking for a person to watch my son, two mornings a week, about 3.5 hrs each day, with the occasional full day. In home childcare averages $150 a week, full time. He is a very well behaved 2 year old, I offered a woman 20$ or 25$ a day for the 3.5 hrs. It is in her home with her own 2 year old. She has no real experience, just a friend of a friend. She came back and asked for 15-23$ an HOUR. She said she was a "nanny." Huh!? She is watching him in her home, for a few hours a couple times a week. I think of nanny as someone, in my home, full time, running my kids around, paying 100% attention to my kids, without hers with her. Am I way off base? Was 25$ a day insulting? I am really worried I insulted her and my other friend is a good friend of hers, and I have a feeling they won't associate with me anymore because of it.

Additionally, I think the only reason she demanded so much is because I'm a lawyer. People think I'm rolling in cash, but I make $24,000/yr!!! And I have student loans to pay for! I don't even make 23$ an hour! I do get quarterly bonuses based on how well the firm does, but they are not guaranteed, and really aren't very much. I took a very low paying legal job because I work mostly from home and they are very accommodating to children. But, I guess since "I'm a lawyer" I can pay 23$ an hour for childcare!

Anyways, that's just a side tangent. What should I expect to pay for a mothers helper a few times a week and how should I mitigate this situation?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Advertisement

HisFadedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Your offer would have been very generous in my area. And based on what you said weekly child care rates are, it sounds like our areas are similar. I was charging $25/ day for full day care, in my home. $20-25 for 3.5hrs is a great offer. She's out of her mind to ask for that much PER HOUR
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No I don't think that's an unreasonable offer for 3.5hrs a day and I agree she's probably trying to take advantage like you said, "cuz your a rich lawyer" and have money just piled up around your house. And even nannies don't get that much in my area which is a high COL area. I could see an in home provider charging you a FT rate because really it's a FT spot someone else could use and not many people are going to want a PT kid when they could have a FT one ya know?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Crazy child care price? Was my offer insulting?

If I had someone who needed care, I'd jump on your proposal for a little bit of extra money...we paid $25/day for in-home care where DD was the only one there (sitter who just wanted to cuddle a baby ) & we pay $35/day at a center now. The area we're moving to is not that much higher, either...I think your offer was very fair. I'd be happy to receive that & I'd be happy to pay it as well.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would think that was a very reasonable offer, I would take it. I think you're right on, she thinks you have money and she wants more of it.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

If you can work in the afternoon, can you hire a responsible teenager in your home and work in a closed office? Or check Care.com in your area. That would be laughable here. I mean, out loud, in the persons face, what is wrong with you, crazy to ask for laughable. $25 would be way more than fair in her home for three hours. But she can ask whatever she wants. I would just let her know that's not something you are willing to pay.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pay $10 an hour for teens to watch my kiddo. I think your offer was a little on the low size, but not unreasonable. If she is that petty, she's worth dropping like a bad habit.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 08-29-2013 at 09:16 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Depending on the area completely reasonable. I charged $5/hour or $200 week

I didn't need the $$ per se so I could really barter. People came to me... I was at the high end but really the low end was over run yucky dirty daycares. I know cause I looked for my son. Omg. No way.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I pay $10 an hour for teens to watch my kiddo. I think your offer was a little on the low size, but not unreasonable. If she is that petty, she's worth dropping like a bad habit.
That sounds absurd to me. Where I'm from, teenagers get paid $2-$3 per hour/child. But that's just where I'm from
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I think anyone that would not associate with you over this issue was not a real friend to begin with....

your offer seemed more than fair. you dont need a nanny, you need an occasional sitter and your payment offer was generous. I would just thank her for getting back to you but regretfully, her charges are outside your budget and you will have to continue your childcare search.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote