Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Food aversions, morning sickness, and generally feeling crummy

I have no appetite at all. None. I have to remind myself that I need to eat, then when I do, I feel pukey. Nothing sits well. I haven't been puking, but its hard to make yourself eat when you're not hungry and know you're just going to feel awful after. Sweets, dairy and protein and all sure bets for making my stomach upset. Fruits and veggies are hit or miss. The only "safe" foods so far are crackers, rice, apples and carrots. Help! I never had food issues like this with the other two. I feel like I need to be eating more than that, but every time I do, I feel crummy. What's a girl to do?

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Food aversions, morning sickness, and generally feeling crummy

Well, speaking from the HG perspective, you can not eat/minimally eat for months and baby will be just fine. It takes what it needs from your stored nutrients.

Watermelon and tea were two that stayed down...on occasional.

I've spent the first trimester of each of my pregnancies throwing up every single thing I managed to choke down. I've been treated for dehydration with IV rehydration 4 times in 3 pregnancies. Tea, water, crackers, gingersnaps, fruit, stomach acid, etc, etc. Everything would come back up. I would avoid eating or drinking to avoid dry heaving what tiny portion I got down before becoming queasy. Even smells made me throw up. By a month in I feel like killing myself. Anti-emetics, seabands...nothing helped. At Drs recommendation I used mmj to increase appetite. It didn't completely eliminate throwing up, but it did make me eat and drink and throw up substance instead of bile. And kept me out of dehydration until it passed (about 4 months I felt better)

If you're not that seriously ill, my best advice is you'll be ok with whatever does stay down and your appetite will come back full force sometime later in pregnancy. Be glad you're only pukey feeling and not constantly throwing up everything all day long It gets better
Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was really nauseated during the 1st trimester this time around, and actually lost weight at first ( although since have made up for it! lol ) Sometimes I would feel sick at completely random times, and it made no sense at all. Even now if it's been too long since I last ate, my blood sugar drops and I feel shaky and nauseated. Just try to stay hydrated, eat what you can - smaller meals or snacks more often as opposed to larger spread apart meals - and try not to worry. Just keep your ob or midwife informed and if it gets worse there are always medications that can help. I hate taking meds but I took Zofran on a few occasions when I felt so bad I was dry heaving, and it really helped. Other than that, just hang in there, mama! Just one of the many joys of pregnancy ;-) But so worth it in the end when you hold that precious baby in your arms! :-)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
miriamleigh
Registered Users

You don't need to eat much more in the first trimester. I wouldn't worry about it. I AM very sorry that you have morning sickness though:-(
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
court_ney12
Registered Users
seller

My "morning sickness"

Is only at night! So weird!
court_ney12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime.mommy View Post
Well, speaking from the HG perspective, you can not eat/minimally eat for months and baby will be just fine. It takes what it needs from your stored nutrients.

Watermelon and tea were two that stayed down...on occasional.

I've spent the first trimester of each of my pregnancies throwing up every single thing I managed to choke down. I've been treated for dehydration with IV rehydration 4 times in 3 pregnancies. Tea, water, crackers, gingersnaps, fruit, stomach acid, etc, etc. Everything would come back up. I would avoid eating or drinking to avoid dry heaving what tiny portion I got down before becoming queasy. Even smells made me throw up. By a month in I feel like killing myself. Anti-emetics, seabands...nothing helped. At Drs recommendation I used mmj to increase appetite. It didn't completely eliminate throwing up, but it did make me eat and drink and throw up substance instead of bile. And kept me out of dehydration until it passed (about 4 months I felt better)

If you're not that seriously ill, my best advice is you'll be ok with whatever does stay down and your appetite will come back full force sometime later in pregnancy. Be glad you're only pukey feeling and not constantly throwing up everything all day long It gets better
This was me with both pregnancies. I lost 15+ pounds each time.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
alphabitty
Registered Users
seller

My nausea and food aversions became so bad I couldn't stand even drinking water. Finally the vomiting started (about 3 days later), and that's when I started using zofran.

Before that, I was able to manage the morning sickness pretty well for several weeks by drinking purified water (tap water was repulsive to me), drinking broth, and eating apples. Crackers and rice and toast just made things worse for me.
alphabitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, broth was super helpful. This last pregnancy I made homemade broth regularly and it helped me a whole lot
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Both of my pregnancies have been similar as yours, OP. I ate what I felt I could handle and didn't worry in the least about getting a wide range of nutrients. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Broth is a good idea. I might try some of that tomorrow. I've been trying to nibble on food pretty much all day, which has been better, but if I forget or get busy for a couple of hours, I'm back to square one. I picked up some peppermint lifesavers today too which have been helpful as well. They mostly just take the edge off the nausea, but I'll take what I can get.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote