View Poll Results: How long was your anatomy scan(uncomplicated pregnancy) and how in depth?
5min or under 1 1.54%
5-10min 1 1.54%
10-20min 11 16.92%
20min + 44 67.69%
Checked facial structures, hands and feet(counted fingers/toes) 8 12.31%
Didn't check facial structres, hands and feet 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I said 20+ minutes. Also checked facial structures (specifically eyes) and hands and feet, counting digits. Faolan wasn't very cooperative with his umbilical cord and she spent extra time looking at his kidneys because she thought something was wrong (it wasn't, I can't even remember what it was now).

All said, it was probably around 45 minutes.

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post
I'm my previous 5 pregnancies my scans have been at least 20 min worth of measuring. But with my scan this afternoon, she only scanned for 5 minutes. She measured the big things: size of the head, size of the abdomen, femur length, checked to see if the baby had 2 kidneys, and took 2 brain measurements. BUT she didn't check: hands, feet, face, bowels, or blood flow to any organs. It seemed like she only cared about the size of the baby and nothing else. My baby could have a cleft palate and we wouldn't even know!!

I just felt very dissatisfied with the scan and I don't know what to do about it.
I would be upset too. That sounds like nothing more than a regular growth scan. I would mention it to the doctor/midwife.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long was your anatomy scan(uncomplicated pregnancy)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I would be upset too. That sounds like nothing more than a regular growth scan. I would mention it to the doctor/midwife.
I think I am going to call them on Tuesday and request an additional scan to check the face, hands, feet, and bowels. Thankfully they employ 2 techs..so hopefully I can get the other one!

Techs like the one I had today are how babies are born with a cleft palette and club feet and no one knew until birth! Granted, there is nothing that can be done for these babies in utero but at least the parents would be prepared and ready to help their child upon birth!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post
I'm my previous 5 pregnancies my scans have been at least 20 min worth of measuring. But with my scan this afternoon, she only scanned for 5 minutes. She measured the big things: size of the head, size of the abdomen, femur length, checked to see if the baby had 2 kidneys, and took 2 brain measurements. BUT she didn't check: hands, feet, face, bowels, or blood flow to any organs. It seemed like she only cared about the size of the baby and nothing else. My baby could have a cleft palate and we wouldn't even know!!

I just felt very dissatisfied with the scan and I don't know what to do about it.
Yes, definitely bring this up at your next appointment. Did you say anything at the time to the tech? Maybe the paperwork was wrong. Once when I went in for a US the paperwork said I had gestational diabetes. The tech asked a casual question about it and I was like- what??
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
30 to 45 min.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

About 30min.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #17
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to have three scans this last time since baby was in weird positions to get good pictures. But each one was over 45 minutes each. It could have been due to the position and the hope of getting the picture, but the first one was 1.5 hours. It was really nerve wracking especially because they didn't tell me why I needed to come back till after the doctor looked at it and called to schedule the next one. I think they are just overly cautious with it and take lots of pictures in hopes of getting the perfect, clear shot.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine was over an hour and everything was perfect. The only concern was some fluid in his kidneys (I think) and the tech said it was nothing to be concerned about. It would have been shorter ( but probably still 45+ minutes) if he had been more cooperative. At one point the tech asked me to get something sugary to get him to move, so that made things take a lot longer.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine was over an hour and everything was perfect. The only concern was some fluid in his kidneys (I think) and the tech said it was nothing to be concerned about. It would have been shorter ( but probably still 45+ minutes) if he had been more cooperative. At one point the tech asked me to get something sugary to get him to move, so that made things take a lot longer.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's amazing that some scans were so short! Ours was about an hour, maybe more for both pregnancies. They measured every bone they found, counted vertebrae, measured various organs, etc
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote