Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: advice for getting a picky kid to eat

Yes, those are the nuggets.

Food allergic kiddos are hard. They learn early that certain foods make them sick so they stick with what is safe. My child with the worst food preference issues was also the one with life threatening allergies. Frustrating to feed, but really I couldn't blame him. Certain foods were poison to him! Would I be very adventurous in that circumstance. Probably not. Sticking with what is safe is good survival.

The vomiting is concerning. I am glad you are calling your ped. He might just have an overactive gag reflex, but reflux is a big possibility too as well as asthma. Same DS has all of the above. Makes me wonder how all this stuff is interrelated? But I agree that getting his health issues under control will help you better address the food issues.

Advertisement

And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
Yes, those are the nuggets.

Food allergic kiddos are hard. They learn early that certain foods make them sick so they stick with what is safe. My child with the worst food preference issues was also the one with life threatening allergies. Frustrating to feed, but really I couldn't blame him. Certain foods were poison to him! Would I be very adventurous in that circumstance. Probably not. Sticking with what is safe is good survival.

The vomiting is concerning. I am glad you are calling your ped. He might just have an overactive gag reflex, but reflux is a big possibility too as well as asthma. Same DS has all of the above. Makes me wonder how all this stuff is interrelated? But I agree that getting his health issues under control will help you better address the food issues.
He hasn't vomited the last couple of days, but now he has diarrhea. He doesn't want to eat much but other than that he's acting perfectly fine. No idea what's going on
Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: advice for getting a picky kid to eat

My son is a restrictive eater. He will only eat certain brands of foods and certain foods. It is nearly impossible to feed him. We allow him to eat what he wants as he will gag or starve himself. We do not want to go the G tube road if possible. I completely understand how hard this can be.

My son has been and will continue to get therapy for this. I would call your pedi and have him evaluated. See if you can get into a behavioral therapist. You might qualify for Chapter 65 services in the home that can be set up around meal times. THat is what we did.

First we had him tolerate the new food on the plate in front of him. THen we had him lick the new food a week later or when he stopped complaining about it on the plate. Once he would lick it without freaking out, we had him bite the food and spit it back out. Once he was no longer gagging or freaking out we moved to chewing the food, then swallowing. It is a long process, but worth it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
You can't taste the spinach, but you will see it, so maybe serve in a colored straw cup, like those take and toss ones to "hide" the green if that is an issue. Can you tell I have experience in sneaky nutrition?
That is genius. Thank you, that is my "you learn something every day" for today!