Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

What items do you do brand new for each successive baby?

What items do you consider to be "consumable" to each baby?

I'm thinking pacifiers and bottle nipples but drawing blanks from there.

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think the only thing I really bought new was toothbrushes. If DS2 had taken a bottle we would have used the same ones. I also attempted to use the same pacifiers because DS1 refused them, but DS2 wouldn't take them either. I think I reused pretty much everything except the cribs and mattresses.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What items do you do brand new for each successive baby?

we dont store a ton of stuff between babies. the crib stays, but i sell and rebuy most of the other large items. i donate bottles when we are done with them and buy new. new pacis. new carseat.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, can't think of anything that I consider consumable, unless it really is marketed as a consumable product. Toothbrushes, that's about it. We reuse bottle nipples and pacifiers that are in good shape. If they're old or otherwise worn out, then no of course not.

The carseat, if it's expired, gets replaced but that's only if it's expired. Not automatically consumable.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bottle nipples, pacis, crib mattresses...there's stuff we didn't use w/ DD1, like those mesh feeder things, that would be replaced if we had used them. And sippies/straw cups are replaced if they're worn, discolored, have been chewed, that kind of thing. And DD stayed in the crib for a long time, then we converted it to a daybed, so her crib sheets & pads have seen better days. We'll probably replace those for these babies, but I don't think they're necessarily consumable.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
doodah
Registered Users
seller

anything that needs to be replaced which generally isnt much because our kids were all so close in age. like others said, toothbrushes and bottle nipples are probably some of the only things you need to be new.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

There isn't anything that I wouldn't reuse for a newborn. The nosefrida, the theoretical pacifiers (that neither of my children would take) the bottle nipples (that my son never used) and bottles, the pump, everything was reused. I even put pink things on my son because they were comfortable and available. He is still wearing fitteds with pink stripes on them and pink BGs.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
We reuse everything as long as they aren't really worn out. Most of the time pacifiers are not in good condition so we replace those.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Car seats. Everyone gets their own, new car seat. They stay in them for at least 5 years so the seats are either still in use or expired once the next one is born. Besides, I can't stomach putting a brand new baby (we start with the convertible and skip the bucket) into a seat that is used, even by a sibling. They get spit up, drool, vomit, poop, pee, sweat, food, and general dirt on them. Washing gets it out of the fabric and straps, but I'm sure there are places inside the seat I can't get too where mess lurks.

Unless it's worn out, we reuse it. Pacis and tooth brushes wear out before the next baby at our house.

Every baby gets some outfits and toys that are new to them. Gear is replaced as needed.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We replaced car seat straps and covers, but not the seat itself. Got rid of stuff I didn't **love** using and replaced it with things I did love - that applies to clothes, diapers, blankets, gear, etc. Pacis and nipples never got used heavily but they get gross over time, they definitely get replaced. We don't reuse shoes for the next kid once they hit walking age, but I don't know if those count as baby things, exactly.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote