Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Re: What items do you do brand new for each successive baby?

Bottle nipples and pacifiers, I guess, but DD won't take them. She has one pacifier right now that she gums on (while supervised) because she's finally getting a tooth but otherwise, she's never used them.

We moved DS into a Frontier and gave DD his Marathon rather than buying new for her.

Advertisement

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

William got Gigi's old Roundabout or whatever the convertible Britax is called.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
New pacis/bottle nipples

New carseat--for fun

New baby carrier--for fun

Going home outfit

For DD2, I bought a co-sleeper that I loved and a second crib.

When DS came, I bought a double stroller and boy clothes.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-03-2013 at 10:53 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Literally nothing is being replaced for this kiddo on the way. He/she will reuse all of DD's stuff. I'm only getting a few things that DD never had in the first place: bottles, pacis, and boy clothes if necessary
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We bought new bottle nipples, but only because for some reason I failed to save DS1s smaller sizes (dr brown has sized nipples). I also added 3 more bottles.

We bought new paci's but again, only because we didn't keep DS1's . Neither kid liked pacis so they were gone in weeks.

Things like bouncers, jumpers, etc we bought used, sold for a profit, bought used again for DS2 and will resell again. We kept DS1s crib and highchair which we had bought new.

I would have previously said we'd buy new things like underwear, but we reuse diapers so I would probably pass down undies too if they weren't yucky and stained. I guess we'll see? I am kind of leaning towards new undies but I don't know why. Socks I saved, but as DS1 gets older they arent staying as nice, and grungy socks bug me. We buy nice socks too, and they last him but I have a feeling I will be tossing them before they make it to DS2. DS1 is like me and wears socks basically 24-7.

We saved all the baby utensils and food containers.

Honestly I know we've bought some stuff new but not much. And I can only think of things we bought for DS2 because we sold it from DS1. We do not have much storage to keep big things for yrs before the next baby.

We do use the infant bucket so we did keep that and it's not expired. It actually works out perfect because DS1 just moved to the last harness slot on the marathon 70 and has been on the last for the FYTF for awhile now, so ds2 will move to those for RF next spring and we will move ds1 to frontiers. We bought all our seats new and they won't be expired. By the time they expire, DS2 can move to the frontiers and DS1 to dedicated boosters.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 09-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Oh and the carseat thing, you can not wash the straps.(someone mentioned washing straps above)

I must just be lucky because we don't have pee/poop issues in our seats and the only time DS1 has vomited it was two small vomits in the same seat (same day) and easily cleanable. The cover got washed but the straps wiped down and sunned and were fine.

We allow snacks but only dry things like crackers so they stay clean.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

In general I don't do bottles or pacifiers (my heart baby was an exception, and she did get all new items). The obvious things like toothbrushes and true consumables.

Beyond that I only buy new things when I don't have the old things because I either gave them away, or they broke/got ruined. I pass car seats (as long as they aren't expired), clothes, diapers, and sometimes shoes down. Everything else is replaced strictly as needed.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm actually surprised that not more people replace crib mattresses. I'm paranoid of SIDS anyway, but once I read some on the correlative numbers (NOT causal, I'm not saying that at all), it made up my mind. Also, DD slept in the crib until she was probably close to 2.5 & has stayed on the same mattress w/ crib converted to daybed & she's 3.5 now...that mattress has a little DD-sized dip in it that she cocoons herself into every night--it just doesn't seem that would be right to pass on to a new baby. Likewise, DD got much more pee, puke, etc. on her mattress than she ever got in a car seat (even though it's a waterproof cover). Now, if we co-slept & babies rarely, if ever, used their cribs, I would likely think differently.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Since my kids are 4 and 8 years apart nothing was saved from 1 baby to the next. However had we had our children closer together I would replace the sling as I only have one I use regularly. It tends to get pretty worn out and holey by the time that child is done with it. Any clothing that was worn or stained beyond redemption. Toys as I don't save them. That is it as I generally don't have a lot of baby items.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

We cosleep, and I haven't owned a crib in 8 years. I keep a cradle nearby for the first few months (usually up to 4 months) that I use primarily. I didn't keep it between my 2nd and third DD and I don't have one now, so I'll be getting another. I've never had one get very messy though. My oldest daughter used to spit up a lot, but never got through to the mattress, and I almost always held her until she spit up.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote