Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Another doula question

This contract says that if the doula doesn't show up at ALL and her backup doesn't show up at all she'll refund $400, which is a little less than 50%. It also says if she shows up after the birth but within 1.5 hours of being summoned, she'll refund 20%.

Normal? I mean, do I seriously need to worry that it would take her more than an hour and a half to show up after I call?

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In my opinion, it depends how many prenatals she does with you prior to the birth. If she does two, then I would refund 70% if no one showed up, one prenatal 80%, no prenatals 100%. The first meet n greet doesn't count as a prenatal.

I think refunding 20% if she's more than an 1.5 hours late, seems reasonable. That's putting into a contract that she promises to be there when you need her, it's to hold her accountable.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oooh I totally forgot about the prenatals (because I don't really feel like I need/want them other than to build a relationship with my doula). That sounds way more fair now. Thank you
Old 09-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'd ask her what specifically she means. If she shows up after an hour and a half after being called, but before the baby's born, then what?
How long does it normally take for her to get to her clients after being called?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone who doesnt take the time to go over things with you... Just handing a packet with all that seems like a very distant approach for what you'd want to have with a doula

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Cobained
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Another doula question

Maybe I was just lucky, but our doula was only $400 total, and she offered a full refund if she/backup missed the labor/birth (unless it was our fault for not calling, etc). We had 2 prenatal appointments, but it was only to build a relationship and go over my birth plan. It was a real bargain for us since my labor was long!
Cobained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think those numbers are really high for around here. I looked around and most doulas were between $400 and $500 total. I found an amazing midwife and her doula fees were only $500. Also everyone I talked to was great about answering questions and spent time just chatting , but there was never any expectation I was hiring them. Where are you getting referrals from? I would keep looking.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
I think those numbers are really high for around here. I looked around and most doulas were between $400 and $500 total. I found an amazing midwife and her doula fees were only $500. Also everyone I talked to was great about answering questions and spent time just chatting , but there was never any expectation I was hiring them. Where are you getting referrals from? I would keep looking.
I found this first batch on doulamatch.net. This one was much higher than the others I looked at. I assume because of her certifications and 10+ years of experience with I don't even remember how many births. Dh called her the "super star" before our meeting, now he thinks her superstardom has gone to her head.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another doula question

I have never looked into hiring a doula so take my idea as you like, but it sounds like a clause to protect you. If she doesn't show up you get your money back and if she just does a postpardum visit it will be $320 (which seems a little high).

I would ask her if this has ever happened and how often to get an idea. Think about a horrible snow storm or a massive traffic accident, there are reasons why people may not be able to make it to your house.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post

I found this first batch on doulamatch.net. This one was much higher than the others I looked at. I assume because of her certifications and 10+ years of experience with I don't even remember how many births. Dh called her the "super star" before our meeting, now he thinks her superstardom has gone to her head.
Super star reminds me of that movie. Now all I can think of is someone shoving their hands into their armpits and then yelling super star.
Is there anyone close by you can ask for recommendations? I can give you the ones I liked but they are so far from you,it probably won't be worth it.