Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
thebearqueen1
Registered Users

?s about yeast re-infection. I need you mamas!

My son has had a seemingly impossible diaper rash since the end of June that I just cannot get on top of. I posted asking for advice here: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1539492

I have been treating it like a yeast rash, using both clotrimazole and then tolnaftate, neither of which seem to be working. I originally had him in disposables, but they ran out and didn't seem to be making any difference anyway, so I went back to my cloth. I washed them in super, super hot water and used grapefruit seed extract to kill the spores.

Here are my questions: Do you have to do the yeast/spore killing routine every time you wash diapers or will the rash go away and then you kill the yeast and spores? And what do I do now that the fungal medicines don't seem to be working? I have given them 3-4 days each and have not seen any improvement. Am I just not giving it enough time? The rash has not really changed since he first got it. It is mostly in the same areas (never in the folds), the same size, and he hasn't once got a satellite lesion. Is this typical for a yeast rash or am I barking up the wrong tree treating it like yeast?

I am pretty desperate to get this under control. I REALLY don't want to take him to the doctor, as we don't have insurance, but it is starting to look like that is the only option I have left. ANY advice or ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Advertisement

thebearqueen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Doesn't look or sound like yeast to me, but to answer your question: each wash needs to be disinfected. Also, if he is breastfed, check for thrush. My ODs had silent thrush and kept reinfecting me and his butt. So that could be it, too, but if its not getting any better then I doubt it.

It looks like my younger son's eczema. And when it gets that bad steroid cream is the only thing that helps it heal. Some people have luck with cortizone which you can by at the store.

Sorry mama! Rashes suck!

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and Nate (Mar 2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
thebearqueen1
Registered Users

Re: ?s about yeast re-infection. I need you mamas!

I have looked for thrush but see no signs. I went through the thrush nightmare with ODD. I haven't tried hydrocortizone, although the thought did cross my mind because my other kiddos all have or have had eczema, but I kind of figured it probably wasn't eczema because the things that work for my other kids haven't worked for DS. That will be the next thing I try. Thank you!
thebearqueen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

I will say this.... Although I dont know off the top of my head how often yeast 'cycles' or gives off spores to reinfect, you should disinfect the diapers Every Wadh until he has no infection. Every time you put a diaper on him it gets the spores on it, therefore if his rash starts to get better, but then you put a diaper on him that has active spores (because your not disinfecting with every wash) you are just putting spores back on him and redepositing yeast thus bringing back the infection.

If your concerned about it being an infective rash Disinfect with Every Wash!! Maybe try bleach or sunning incase its not yeast and grapefruit seed isnt working?
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeast, especially once it takes hold, take WEEKS to get rid of. you should be seeing improvement after a week but it won't be gone for a while. If after a week you don't see any improvement you might want to try another anti fungal.

I wash diapers on sanitize with biokleen oxygen bleach and use 1 TBL of GSE in the rinse cycle every wash (it does get expensive).

I would recommended treating the yeast imbalance on the inside. when this was suggested to me my son was 3 so I gave him a probiotic until the yeast cleared. If you get the balance on the inside controlled less change on reinfection. It was explained to me that yeast imbalance happens on the inside, standard diaper rash happens, tiny cuts from normal diaper rash get infected by excess yeast in urine causing yeast rash.

The most recently yeast we dealt I use the CVS version of monistat7 twice a day. Also used coconut oil with 10 drops of TTO and 20 drops of GSE per oz, three natural things that can kill yeast, twice a day.

It took at least 4 weeks to kill it the first time (we started the probiotic about mid way through and didn't catch it for several days). Once it was cleared I stopped the probiotic and wasn't good about feeding my kid yogurt. About a month later he got it again but I think I noticed it the first day. I started the probiotic right back up and treating it the same way and it took about 1.5 - 2 weeks to clear. We switched to yogurt smoothies which are alot easier to get my son to eat and haven't seen an relapse.

The other option is go get a prescription. But I would do everything the same except use the the different cream to treat.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As to whether it is actually yeast that is harder to diagnose from afar. Unfortunately the treatment for yeast is opposite for the treatment to standard diaper rash. Yeast needs to dry out - standard rash needs to be kept moist.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote