Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:
SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) or Pelvic Varicose Vein, Anyone?

Thinking I may be suffering from SPD (or pelvic girdle pain). I am 25 weeks and have had on and off pain in my lower back near the sacroilical joint on my left side. Some days were OK, some days it hurt pretty bad when walking. Seemed to get better, but now I'm having this constant pain in my front lower pelvic region (only on the left side)in my girly bits. It doesn't radiate down my leg or anything, just this ache/throb type feeling on this one side, but all the time and super uncomfortable.

I told my midwife at the last apt and she said maybe it was a varicose vein that was throbbing that I can't see. It feels tender to touch that area, but I can't see any veins or inflammation (then again, I can't see much down there at all!) I've also read about SPD, and I am thinking that is the problem. It kills me at night and after walking a lot. I vaguely remember mild pain in that region (same side) when pregnant with my DD, but it happened much later in the pregnancy and wasn't so bad. 2nd times a charm I guess!

Anyway, anyone BTDT? Advice? Was hoping someone may chime in and help me figure out if varicose vein or SPD based on symptoms they've had with either? I will of course follow up with midwife again at next appt.

Advertisement

Last edited by bobbyjk; 09-04-2013 at 03:40 AM.
bobbyjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) or Pelvic Varicose Vein, Anyone?

I had it this time around with #4. The only thing that kinda helped me was physical therapy. I started having the pain in Feb (20ish week) and finally got a referral to pt in May (30ish week). It was a battle for me. Nobody took my pain seriously and I had to demand a referral in the end. good luck. I know it's not fun.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had both.
The varicose vein hurt down lower, and was much more of an external, swollen, throbbing type of pain. Wearing something supportive - even panty hose - helped quite a bit. Mine always stopped hurting at night though, so that makes me wonder about what you're dealing with....
The SPD hurt at the front center down low in my pelvis (right where the symphysis pubis ligament is) and felt like a bone ache. It was worst if I moved my legs independently - lifting one leg to cross them, for example, and sometimes even turning around a corner - if one leg "swung wide" as I turned, it could really hurt! Putting on pants while standing hurt. The advice I heard was to always keep your knees together. When you turn in your chair, move both legs together. Getting out of the car - both legs together, etc. A belly/back/hip support might help stabilize things. If you are still experiencing this at delivery time, don't let them put you in stirrups or force your knees wide apart if you can help it. That will leave you sore for quite a while, and possibly with long term damage.
Hope you can get an answer for what you're dealing with, and some relief from the pain!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
I've had both.
The varicose vein hurt down lower, and was much more of an external, swollen, throbbing type of pain. Wearing something supportive - even panty hose - helped quite a bit. Mine always stopped hurting at night though, so that makes me wonder about what you're dealing with....
The SPD hurt at the front center down low in my pelvis (right where the symphysis pubis ligament is) and felt like a bone ache. It was worst if I moved my legs independently - lifting one leg to cross them, for example, and sometimes even turning around a corner - if one leg "swung wide" as I turned, it could really hurt! Putting on pants while standing hurt. The advice I heard was to always keep your knees together. When you turn in your chair, move both legs together. Getting out of the car - both legs together, etc. A belly/back/hip support might help stabilize things. If you are still experiencing this at delivery time, don't let them put you in stirrups or force your knees wide apart if you can help it. That will leave you sore for quite a while, and possibly with long term damage.
Hope you can get an answer for what you're dealing with, and some relief from the pain!
Hmm, this is like a sore/throbbing/sometimes sharp pain and my skin is sensitive to it. It is right inside of where the elastic on your underwear falls between your leg and pubic area of only my left side. Maybe it is more varicose then. I don't really feel a central pain and opening my legs doesn't hurt. but the other SPD symptoms seem to be there.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

I've had SPD this pregnancy also. I can't bend down to put on pants, I have to sit, and do it, cause it aches, and shoots pain up my lady bits. Really isn't anything to do, try a belt (didn't work for me), take Tylenol.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had SPD since like 10 weeks, it Got really bad around 16 weeks. PT was my savior! That and a SI joint support belt.
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
miriamleigh
Registered Users

I have severe SPD, and your symptoms are exactly the same as mine. Chiropractic is great! Also look up SI joint release excercises on YouTube. Good luck!
miriamleigh is online now   Reply With Quote