Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
If you choose to revoke it, then I would speak to them. And only then because of how it may reflect on your daughter if you don't. If she asks to get off early on Monday, they refuse, and suddenly mommy pulls the approval, that's going to make her look crappy. You don't want it looking like she pulled mommy out of her pocket to get her way, kwim? So if you do decide to pull permission, I would speak to the manager and let them know exactly why, and that it was your decision.

As far as the rest goes, this is one week. Have they done this in the past? I would wait until they attempted to pull 3 week night close shifts out of her again before I jumped to the conclusion that they're going to push her over about it. It may just be a scheduling fluke where they had no one else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I wrong or is this unreasonable?

Ok, so last night they got crappy with her again. The manager started making threats about writing her up and cuttin back her hours. That really pissed off DH. She hasn't even DONE anything yet. She simply *asked* if she could leave at 11 on Monday. If they don't want her to leave at 11, then just tell her no and move on. There is no reason to get nasty and start making threats when she didn't even DO anything. I am not real keen on a manager who can't handle denying permission for a schedule change without getting nasty about it. If my kid was the type to ge mouthy and I thought she was being rude or confrontational then I could understand the threat (ie if she was being disrespectful, then of course she should be written up.). But really, Caiti is so much more likely to just break down in tears than to get mouthy and disrespectful.

And even for all that, he STILL hasn't ACTUALLY SAID yes or no.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Ok, so last night they got crappy with her again. The manager started making threats about writing her up and cuttin back her hours. That really pissed off DH. She hasn't even DONE anything yet. She simply *asked* if she could leave at 11 on Monday. If they don't want her to leave at 11, then just tell her no and move on. There is no reason to get nasty and start making threats when she didn't even DO anything. I am not real keen on a manager who can't handle denying permission for a schedule change without getting nasty about it. If my kid was the type to ge mouthy and I thought she was being rude or confrontational then I could understand the threat (ie if she was being disrespectful, then of course she should be written up.). But really, Caiti is so much more likely to just break down in tears than to get mouthy and disrespectful.

I would be pissed and revoke the permission. They are abusing her now and I would call them on it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Yup, they are setting her up to work the crappy hours. So many managers think they can bully teenagers. Does she NEED this job? If not I'd tell her I fully support her telling her manager his behavior is unnacceptable, and if it continues she will file a complaint with the corporate office and quit. I HATE HATE HATE managers who behave this way. It pushes my buttons!!!!
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Yeah, that's not acceptable. She's being bullied and she doesn't need that. She's got a full schedule as it is and sorry, she's at a point in her life where her schooling and those activities need to come first, not her job. And, she needs to stand her ground and not buckle when it comes to him. If he threatens to take her hours away, tell him okay, if that's what you feel you need to do. He needs her more than she needs them, judging by his anger/irritation, and just doesn't want to wind up closing himself to cover that part of the shift that's left because she needs to leave early.He's trying to make her feel bad when he tells her he'll drop her hours/write her up. She just needs to tell him, school comes first, period. And if they continue to give her attitude, it spills over into harassment territory. I highly doubt they want to get in trouble for harassing a minor because she told them she couldn't work late because she has school and an internship to do.

She might see a drop in hours, or even a write up, but I would be surprised if it went any further than that or if she didn't wind up getting her hours back eventually. And there are worse things to be written up for, honestly.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Well she does need *a* job because she does have financial responsibilities. But she doesn't need *this* job specifically. She has actually already talked about starting to look for another job, before all this started. She has talked with a few places but at the moment everyone has told her they are getting ready to hire for the holidays so come back in a few weeks. Chipotle and Joann Fabrics said they would hire her until she turns 18, even though that is within 4 months.

DH is going to go over to the theater and say something about them being big bullies. And I think Caiti is going to make her search for a new job a bit more serious now.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I've only read your OP, and I think the theater is being completely unreasonable!! I too worked at a movie theater in high school. During the school year, they never had students close on a school night. I don't even know if they were allowed to schedule that. I think working until 11 on a school night is beyond generous. I'd probably prefer 10 if it was my kid.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote