Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you know when your child is ready for toddler bed?

Just that. We are due in December with baby number 2. I'm not sure what I want to do yet about switching him. We have two cribs and baby girl will sleep with us or in her bassinet for the first 4-6 months like our son did. He just turned two. How do I know when he's ready for us to turn his crib into a toddler bed? It's the type that you can just take off one side.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Mrs-Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How do you know when your child is ready for toddler bed?

When you're pregnant with the next one . Our older ones were moved to a toddler bed when I was pregnant but not for much other reason. For #3, we just moved him a month or so ago. He's 2.5 and it just seemed the right time since we were switchingthe kids' rooms around anyway. He never tried to climb out of his crib and has done great in the toddler bed, which is good because we disassembled the crib that same day so there was no going back
Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With #1, when I was pregnant with the second one. Oh, and potty training factored into that - we switched to a toddler bed so he could get up at night and go to the bathroom.

With #2 when he climbed out.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With #1 when he got one as a gift on his 2nd birthday from grandparents.

With #2 when the movers broke the crib. She was 13 months old and we did the toddler matress on the floor for a few months then toddler bed.

With #3 when she wasn't sleeping as well in the pack n play at 14 months old. She starts in the toddler bed in our room and moves to our bed when she wakes to nurse in the middle of the night.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
daniele_ut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have kept my kids in their cribs as long as humanly possible. The older 2 slept SO well in their cribs that I was not willing to rock that boat. We moved DS1 to a twin bed when he was 3 and I was pregnant with DD. He got the twin right after his birthday and DD was born 4 months later. We moved DD to a twin bed when she was a couple months shy of her 3rd birthday. We had no problems with the transitions at all.

My youngest STILL isn't sleeping through the night at 21 months and I fear that moving him to a bed will mean even worse sleep. He would not cosleep once he was mobile and my few attempts to get him to sleep in a bed in the past few months (traveling, etc) were abysmal failures.
daniele_ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I keep kiddos in their cribs til they start to climb out. Once the crib is gone, kiddo is no longer contained, and going to bed becomes a nightmare of out of bed.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
kanga1622
Registered Users

We moved DS1 from our bed directly to a crib converted toddler bed at 18 months. After being in our bed so long he refused the crib but slept fine as soon as he had an open side.

If we have a crib sleeper with DS2, we will probably look for signs from him like climbing, not waking trapped in the slats, and him staying on his bed when he wakes.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always wait til 3. I have never had a child climb out of a crib or get out of bed without permission. It seems that if done to early there are many problems like getting out of bed multiple times a night. We just never experienced that. We finally had to tell my 7 year old he could get out of bed on his own in the morning. My kids loved there crib and I think they felt secure in it.

I know I am a big minority on this subject but it works for my family. Yes I have 2 cribs. No big deal. I never had to buy a toddler bed.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

When they climb out on their own. Oldest was just over 2. Middle was only about 15 months. Youngest is still in it and is almost 20 months.
Sugar&SpiceX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

We convert from crib to toddler bed pretty early. my oldest was 8 months my youngest at just over a year basically once sthey can walk well enough we find the toddler bed converson a lot easier, actually we go to a twin pretty quickly. Its a personal choice though their is really no correct answer.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote