Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is this discrimination? It's a novel...

My child didn't get to pick his freshman classes until a month before school was suppose to start because he needed to finish summer school first and graduate from 8th grade.

Anyways, because he couldn't pick his classes right away he got stuck in a different lunch than all the other freshman so he is missing out on all the fun freshman activities they do during 'freshman' lunch. We tried to get them to change it but there just isn't room for him in the class he would take if he switched his 4th hour to be in freshman lunch. Does that make sense?

I posted on Facebook about how sad it was that he couldn't do these fun things because he was in a different lunch. I got a few people saying that the school was discriminating against him because he couldn't pick the classes he wanted and go with the other kids. I do agree it's sad but it's not discrimination, right? I mean, if he would have taken school seriously last year he could have picked the classes he wanted and been with all the other freshman. I'm now wondering if I'm wrong on this?

Everyone says I should fight with the school and get him in the different lunch but that would mean sticking him in a class overflowing with kids already.

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

If their rule is you can't pick your classes until you finish summer school, than that's how it is. My son wants to switch one of his classes, but it's full. The end.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't sound like discrimination to me.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this discrimination? It's a novel...

It's not discrimination. It's what would be known as natural consequences. He didn't get good enough grades to move on to high school without needing summer school. As a result, he couldn't get the right classes to allow him to participate in the freshman activities. The only way I would consider it discrimination would be if he had special needs that were not being addressed with an IEP that contributed to his grade problems.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
If their rule is you can't pick your classes until you finish summer school, than that's how it is. My son wants to switch one of his classes, but it's full. The end.
This.

Those crying discrimination are probably those with "precious darlings" who are never allowed to suffer a natural consequence.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
It's not discrimination. It's what would be known as natural consequences. He didn't get good enough grades to move on to high school without needing summer school. As a result, he couldn't get the right classes to allow him to participate in the freshman activities. The only way I would consider it discrimination would be if he had special needs that were not being addressed with an IEP that contributed to his grade problems.
Yes to this. I couldn't have said it better myself.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Yeah, this.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I agree with everyone else. This is a natural consequence to not taking his schooling last year seriously. Maybe it will motivate him to do better this year.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I agree with everyone else. This is a natural consequence to not taking his schooling last year seriously. Maybe it will motivate him to do better this year.
Agreed!!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
brandimn6217
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
Yes!