Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Legally speaking the protected classes for discrimination are age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation (sometimes). So legally it is not. He is not being singled out or denied access because of these.

I agree it sucks, and wonder why they have a freshman lunch if there isn't room for all the freshman (???) but its not discrimination.

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you. I thought I was being an insensitive jerk.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is this discrimination? It's a novel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
If their rule is you can't pick your classes until you finish summer school, than that's how it is. My son wants to switch one of his classes, but it's full. The end.
yup. We just finished timetable changes at my school on friday. If a kid wanted to change because they a) wanted to be in a class with their friends, b) wanted a different teacher(with no good reason) or c) wanted their spare in block 2 or 7(so they could leave early, come late or get to a job) they were automatically turned away.

If they have an unbalanced timetable(ie, all electives first semester) or they are missing a pre-req or won't have the credits they need to graduate(gr 12 only) then they are called down for a change.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't think it is discrimination, but I'd see what I could do to get him in the freshman lunch. I think friendships are important and so is being involved in school activities. If he goes into high school at a disadvantage, doesn't get involved, and doesn't make friends I don't think that will be setting him up for success.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
It's not discrimination. It's what would be known as natural consequences. He didn't get good enough grades to move on to high school without needing summer school. As a result, he couldn't get the right classes to allow him to participate in the freshman activities. The only way I would consider it discrimination would be if he had special needs that were not being addressed with an IEP that contributed to his grade problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Those crying discrimination are probably those with "precious darlings" who are never allowed to suffer a natural consequence.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
Maybe it will motivate him to do better this year.
and too!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley
I don't think it is discrimination, but I'd see what I could do to get him in the freshman lunch. I think friendships are important and so is being involved in school activities. If he goes into high school at a disadvantage, doesn't get involved, and doesn't make friends I don't think that will be setting him up for success.
He has lots of friends. I have called. They won't change him because there isn't any room.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette

He has lots of friends. I have called. They won't change him because there isn't any room.
Big bummer but i think it's just part of life. My friends son is part of a 3/4 split class and he misses lunch with the third graders. She was peeved too. But eventually he made friends and now it's no biggie.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree...he will learn to do better next time.

That is odd about picking the classes though. Our 8th graders all do it in their science classes at the same time. If you don't pass, your schedule gets changed later.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
I agree...he will learn to do better next time.

That is odd about picking the classes though. Our 8th graders all do it in their science classes at the same time. If you don't pass, your schedule gets changed later.
Since he was failing 8th grade he wasn't given the opportunity. It seemed strange to me as well.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
It's not discrimination. It's what would be known as natural consequences. He didn't get good enough grades to move on to high school without needing summer school. As a result, he couldn't get the right classes to allow him to participate in the freshman activities. The only way I would consider it discrimination would be if he had special needs that were not being addressed with an IEP that contributed to his grade problems.
this