Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
risata
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this discrimination? It's a novel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I do agree it's sad but it's not discrimination, right? I mean, if he would have taken school seriously last year he could have picked the classes he wanted and been with all the other freshman.
You nailed it. Not discrimination but definitely a learning experience. Choices you make affect things down the road, and parents can't always fix things for you.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
This.

Those crying discrimination are probably those with "precious darlings" who are never allowed to suffer a natural consequence.

LOL...exactly.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure he will be fine. He'll have a different experience than other freshmen, but so what? Different doesn't have to be bad.
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Doesn't even sound like freshman lunch. I mean if not all freshman can do it them not freshman lunch. Must be a small freshman class if one class makes the difference.
Sounds to me like their rules were followed so not discrimination.

Currently using my "Smart" phone.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I believe in consequences, I really do, but I think the fun freshman activities are important. The kids being active and doing these activities aren't getting into trouble during that lunch hour. I feel that by excluding the children who did summer school that they are setting them up to fail. I guess I feel that by punishing a child for not doing well in school that we are putting them back even farther.

Lots of time the children failing having learning disabilities or difficulties. I know some children just slack off.

I guess I just see things differently.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
Gabe'sMommy
Registered Users

My little sister failed a bunch of classes, did summer school and still won't be graduating on time. She's smart, just super lazy (not saying that this is the op's child). She doesn't get to do all the fun graduating stuff with her friends this year. I don't feel bad for her one bit, she doesn't deserve it. Kids need to learn consequences, that's the real world. People that work hard get ahead, people that slack off (for the most part) fall behind.
Gabe'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #27
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is there no way to switch 3 classes around to make it work. He can't switch 4th with lunch, but maybe he can switch something with his 4th period that couled then be switched with lunch. It can't be impossible to slide a few things around to make it work. Maybe there is an honors course or a different elective that would make the schedule work better, etc...

I think if you make a big enough deal about it they should at least try to accomodate you... Last effort, I bet if you threatened to switch him to another school (less funding for them...) it might work.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe'sMommy View Post
My little sister failed a bunch of classes, did summer school and still won't be graduating on time. She's smart, just super lazy (not saying that this is the op's child). She doesn't get to do all the fun graduating stuff with her friends this year. I don't feel bad for her one bit, she doesn't deserve it. Kids need to learn consequences, that's the real world. People that work hard get ahead, people that slack off (for the most part) fall behind.
My brother was told he wouldn't graduate with his class about 1/3 through senior year. He called our mom, she took him out of school that day and he had his GED after just 4 hours of adult education.

School sucks. It sucks even more when you're not good at it and moreso when you don't have the support of parents/family.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
crowbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley
I believe in consequences, I really do, but I think the fun freshman activities are important. The kids being active and doing these activities aren't getting into trouble during that lunch hour. I feel that by excluding the children who did summer school that they are setting them up to fail. I guess I feel that by punishing a child for not doing well in school that we are putting them back even farther.

Lots of time the children failing having learning disabilities or difficulties. I know some children just slack off.

I guess I just see things differently.
This.
crowbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

I've never even heard of 'freshman' lunch.