Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do I find a natural OB?

Not pregnant yet, but DH and I are finally officially TTC this month!

I have a fairly significant heart condition, DD almost died during L&D and I went into heart failure afterward, so delivery with a midwife, birth center or homebirth is not a smart option for me. However, I do have a very natural mindset, and want the chance to have yet-to-be-conceived baby with as few interventions as possible.

We recently moved to a new city and I've decided what hospital I'd like to deliver at - they have a level III NICU as well as my heart team practices there. Now I need to pick an OBGYN. However, since we just moved here, I don't really have anyone to ask about the different doctors and their mindsets.

Is there somewhere where statistics are kept (CS rates, etc.)? Can I just call different offices and ask questions? I feel like if I call and ask "Is Dr. SoandSo ok with a natural birth?" the answer is going to be yes. What questions would you ask to really gauge that?

I'm such a planner and want to have as much of this figured out as possible before I'm actually with child.

Advertisement

and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:
Honestly, I'd go in and "interview" each one. Put it all out on the table and see who you like best.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How do I find a natural OB?

DP switched practices mid-pregnancy when she was due w/ DD. She checked to see who participated w/ her insurance, got on the websites, and ended up kind of randomly picking her practice b/c it advertised itself as a "woman-focused practice" & all of the information and links from their site were very much friendly to natural birth processes. They were also alternative-medicine friendly, and at the time, was one OB & 3 CNMs. We weren't interested in a hb or anything, but they were very responsive to DP's expressed desire to have a hospital birth with minimal interventions. We happened to be talking about it last night, actually, and pretty much everything that could go wrong w/ her birth did, but the CNM who delivered DD was AMAZING & she & the other hospital staff did absolutely everything they could to (successfully) make sure that DP avoided a c/s & episiotomy. I switched practices to them as well & saw them through the first 26 weeks of my pregnancy...since DD was born the practice added a couple more OBs (they also opened a second location) & I saw the Ob much more than DP did. But then again, I'm AMA, first gestation, & have multiples & had an SCH @ 12 weeks. And yet, they never once mentioned c/s to me, only ever talked about vaginal delivery.

Really, it was worth it for DP to go with her gut, but she also talked with them when she called about wanting a low/no intervention birth. They were very open to it, and they were very up front w/ their c/s & episiotomy rates. The only caution I would put out there is that a lot of OBs who deliver @ hospitals w/ NICUs is that they do tend to have somewhat higher c/s rates. Not really b/c they're c/s happy, but b/c they tend to take higher-risk patients, KWIM?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I think that if your heart team is at the hospital you plan to deliver at, then you might want to start by askin them for recommendations. Plus, if they know some OBs and have worked with them, that's an additional advantage if something happens during delivery.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I think that if your heart team is at the hospital you plan to deliver at, then you might want to start by askin them for recommendations. Plus, if they know some OBs and have worked with them, that's an additional advantage if something happens during delivery.
I like this suggestion.

I am pregnant in a new area and was lucky enough to network with other crunchy mom types pretty quickly to get references.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I see you are in OKC. I have delivered at Mercy and at that point they were NOT very naturally minded. I am at OU Children's this time because they are the most likely to hold off on interventions, probably followed by Deaconess. The only big hospital I don't know much about is Baptist. You can google state c-section rates by hospital, OU is the best, Mercy is the worst, surprise, surprise.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found out who backed up the midwives in town, and went to her. She was natural birth friendly and had been delivering babies for about 25 years, so she'd seen it all.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I looked mine up and there was a like rating site I came across where few imputted how they felt... is all I can think of to try.

Mine was pretty good. I think many will talk with you too if you would like x,y and z maybe they can work with it....

I was lucky with my ob.my ob said that he hoped he was around when I gave birth as his co female ob gals induce alot and he is so laid back and is like baby will come when it is time..I hoped he wsa around because he left me with my first to another ob... and well NOT NICE!

We made it before he left on vacation so that was all good with baby 3 as baby 3 was 9 pounds and ALL NATURAL!

maybe google obs in the area? ratemds.com has ratings for areas and mine is #1. There are ther ones too.....

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 09-08-2013 at 03:49 AM.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

The L&D nurses know. Call your hospital and ask them who they recommend for a natural birth.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
I know this is what I probably need to do, but I'm scared, lol. The cardio "can't recommend" that I get pregnant bc of my history. We've talked about it extensively, done tons of research and both he and I feel like it would more than likely be fine. I'm just being a chicken.

I also know he's very risk adverse, which I like when it comes to dealing with my heart health, but I can't imagine him recommending an OB who would be hands off.
and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote