Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

kids sharing a room

I need to move my 8 month old in with my almost 3 year old. Im not sure how I should go about it especially with bedtime. Right now they both go to bed about 7pm. The baby gets fed and rocked in our room then put in her crib. Scarlett brushes teeth gets a story then gets in bed and gets a song then it's time for sleep. She gets out of bed several times usually before she is asleep. I don't know who to put to bed first and how to go about not waking one or the other. I also don't want bedtime to be too late for either because dh gets up at 5:30 so we are in bed by 9:30 at the latest and I only get a little time with him as is. We weren't planning to move the baby for another 4 months or so at least but my mil had moved in with us so now we don't have any where to have alone time and need or room back.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No suggestions here but subbing for ideas!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
risata
Registered Users
seller

Re: kids sharing a room

Does baby fall asleep while being rocked? If not, I'd split the initial stuff -- one parent feeds and rocks baby, the other brushes big sister's teeth and reads the story -- then put them both to bed at the same time.

If the baby falls asleep while being rocked, then I'd put her to bed first, do story and song with big sister in my room, then tiptoe her into her room to go to bed, and really play up the "let's be quiet and sneaky" part of it. If the baby is already asleep, chances are she won't wake up anyway, unless she's a light sleeper.

ETA if I had to split bedtimes, I would put baby to bed a little earlier, like 6:45, and big sis to bed just a little later, like 7:15. That way their bedtime isn't changing TOO much, and no one is staying up much later.

Last edited by risata; 09-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.
risata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Does baby wake if there is noise? How long does it take for baby to go to bed vs bigger one. I might do bigger one & let fall asleep then put baby in.... if baby isn't troubled by noise then baby....
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
Does baby wake if there is noise? How long does it take for baby to go to bed vs bigger one. I might do bigger one & let fall asleep then put baby in.... if baby isn't troubled by noise then baby....
It's really just depends. Some nights the baby goes right down with just nursing. Other nights like tonight I had to rock and nurse for almost 45 minutes. The older one usually gets up a few times because she doesn't want to go down but tonight after 30 minutes of story and singing she didn't get up again. I really wish they were more predictable
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
K&Bmama
Registered Users

I am having the same situation! We need to put our 3.5 year old and our 16 month old in together, and I am wondering how to do it so everyone still gets sleep at night! I will be watching this thread for ideas!
K&Bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly i say just do it - get them "Ready" at the same time (so u nurse/rock while your DH brushes teeth) then read to them together and put them down at the same time. At first it will be rough and not work very well.... after about 2 weeks they will adjust and be just fine

This is coming from the woman who has 3 boys who have all slept in the same room for several years now. DS1 and DS2 started sleeping together at 3.5 and 18mo old..... i put DS3 into the room with them when their ages were 5,3, and roughly 14ish mo. I would have done it sooner but DS3 had medical issues which would result in frequent night wakings (think every 1.5hr i might be in the room with him)..... so needless once we figured out what was going on and how to help him and he was only waking occassionally we put them in together.

They all go down at the same time (6:30p) and will whisper to each other for a few mins. Sometimes DS1 reads a book out loud to the younger two, and they are all sound asleep by 7pm. People ask me all the time "how did you do that?!" - i say it stinks for about two weeks while they adjust and you are super strict about rules (eg no getting out of bed to bother others, no loud talking, etc etc etc)..... but then they "Get it" and its no big deal at all.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just put them to bed at the same time and did the routine together when I made the transition to have the two babies in the room with the older sibling(s). My younger two were both about 7 months when I made the transition.

I taught ds how to fall asleep on his own in the crib gradually. I started by patting his back and singing and I just reduced the amount of time I did it. If he cried I picked him up comforted him then put him back in. My older Dd already knew how to put herself to sleep at the time. When my youngest dd made the transition to the crib in the room with dd and ds it went very smoothly.

I never let the kids come out of the room at bedtime. I made sure they went potty beforehand and once they were in bed they had to stay. If they got up the first time I would say she it is bedtime and if they did it again I quietly put them back. I don't allow for millions of excuses. When I taught my oldest to fall asleep on her own I would sit with her and reduce the time I sat and if they got wiggly or loud I would say it is time to calm our bodies. It is time for bed.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 09-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote