Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shower in 9 days and cloth registry hasn't been touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
i think this is really true. cloth is expensive in a lot of cases. some cloth diapers can be the same as a box of disposables, know what i mean? it's a lot of money to spend on something, when they aren't entirely sure what they are getting, or if they are getting the right thing. more people are a lot more likely to go with something else.
Totally agree with the whole "foreign" thing & the expense thing. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding that yeah, they're spending a bunch for what seems like such a small amount of diapers but then you don't ever have spend that money again, at least for this baby and probably not for the next either.

I was super worried that I would not have anyone show up and/or get tons of gifts that I don't need or want, which is what happened when we got married. Like no one looked that either registry then, and we got stuff that we didn't need (like I already had 2 sets of dishes & 2 sets of silverware but we got another set of each--duh, that's why we didn't register for them!).

We just had our shower this past Saturday, and I was so bummed before hand because there were only 2 purchases from our Amazon registry (but both diaper covers, yay) and 6 from our Target one (all small stuff like paci clips, teethers). And then people didn't start showing up until about 1/2 hour after the party was supposed to have started. And then a lot of my family didn't show up, but I'm sure that's because my mom is a super procrastinator and didn't get their invites out in time. Like, my grandma got hers the day before, one aunt& uncle hadn't gotten theirs as of that morning, and another had just gotten it the night before. So yeah, I'm sure the rest of them (have a BIG family, Dad is one of 10 surviving kids and all have at least a couple kids). That, and my cousin is getting married this weekend, so I'm sure that some of the ones who live farther away are combining trips & will just bring a gift or card when we see them at the reception.

Thankfully, either people looked at the registries to get an idea of what we like or they have just gotten to know us better in the last 7 years since we got married, but I liked almost everything we got even if most of it was not on any registry. Plus, I got a surprise that 2 GMD fitteds were bought off my Amazon one but they hadn't shown up as purchased because they are from an outside website.

I did make sure to make it clear to my close family & friends and to anyone who asked about how baby stuff was going that we are doing cloth diapers, so I think that really helped cut down on 'sposies. We got 2 small packages of sposies and that's it.

And that turned out to be a really long-winded post, sorry!

Advertisement

bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil323 View Post
Totally agree with the whole "foreign" thing & the expense thing. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding that yeah, they're spending a bunch for what seems like such a small amount of diapers but then you don't ever have spend that money again, at least for this baby and probably not for the next either.

the way that i describe it, is a 76 pack of diapers, is $20. that's the average (on the higher end) cost of a diaper. you will get WAY more than 76 uses out of a cloth diaper, know what i mean? i mean, unless your stash is ginormous, you will use one diaper plenty of times. if a diaper is $10, that would be about 35 uses, which is much more than most diapers get used, so it really is worth the money in the longrun. not to mention, the chemicals aren't up against baby's bum. not to mention not filling the landfills. not to mention making 30-50% or more of your money back when you are done using the diapers (i'd like to see someone do THAT with sposies!)... there are so many positive reasons to CD. when most people realize that, they are all for it.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Southern mama to Boogie
Registered Users
seller

I didn't plan on CD, just recently started looking into it, so I didn't register for any- so I'm no help there.

But if it makes you feel any better: Out of the 20-30 people that came to my shower, maybe 5-10 RSVP'd. I think RSVP is becoming a thing of the past, sadly. Hardly anyone does it anymore and it's so frustrating!

Also, NO items off of my registry were bought til probably 2-3 days before my shower. Lots of times people just wait til last minute to buy for showers. I've even bought shower gifts day-of on my way there (from the registry).

If anything, maybe you'll get gift cards that you can use for cloth. I got a little over $200 in gift cards for target!
Southern mama to Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhaze View Post

What is the point of having a baby shower any way? I'm so frustrated and disappointed already and the shower hasn't even happened yet.

i have a feeling i'm going to be ordering my own cloth last min from GMD the day after my baby shower.

maybe it's just me.
What is the point of having a baby shower? Celebrating with those who love & care about you that you are having a baby/babies! If your main objective is to haul in everything you want or need for your baby, you are bound to be disappointed.

People never bought me anything off of my registry. I mostly used a registry to keep track of what I wanted/needed & get the discounts/perks from those companies. When I am expecting a baby I fully expect to buy everything myself. People always buy things that they *think* I need or think that I will love. The only person who ever bought me cloth diapers was my grandma! gerber poly filled prefolds! LOL! And people who did not know me as well, but wanted to give me a gift bought us disposables,which we never used.But they cared enough to buy a gift!!!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
jandk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my experience with baby showers, a lot of people will look at your registry to get ideas of what you want, and then go to an actual store to pick out something similar. And cloth diapers are too much of a foreign thing for people. Just hope for receipts, so you can take all the ugly stuff back and buy what you actually wanted in the first place!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
yukipr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hang in there. Do not feel like is you. I remember with my first child I spent a lot of time doing research for friendly items for her, including organic diapers and such. Personally, it was a waste of my time. People gave us things that were not on the registry and at the end we ended up loaning a big car and going to Babies R Us to pick up the items ourselves with some of the money we got at the shower. I was really disappointed. On the other hand, it was nice just to go shopping with my husband and getting some sort of discount.

For our second baby, I ended up cancelling the shower I was throwing myself. I am from a different country and if you have 10 kids, you will get 10 showers. I did not have a wedding shower and the trade off was to do a second shower even thou that is not the american way. Fast forward a couple of years, only 1 person reserved for the shower and I ended up canceling the whole thing. My husband, DD and me, we eating the cake for a week!!!! I have been so upset ever since, that I had decided that my kids birthday will be celebrated at school and not with my husbands relatives (mine live out of the States).

So, it is not you. It happens more often than you think. I think people is just not sensible enough or something. Good luck on the delivery and Rest Rest Rest!
yukipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Sunflower~*~ View Post
What is the point of having a baby shower? Celebrating with those who love & care about you that you are having a baby/babies! If your main objective is to haul in everything you want or need for your baby, you are bound to be disappointed.

People never bought me anything off of my registry. I mostly used a registry to keep track of what I wanted/needed & get the discounts/perks from those companies. When I am expecting a baby I fully expect to buy everything myself. People always buy things that they *think* I need or think that I will love. The only person who ever bought me cloth diapers was my grandma! gerber poly filled prefolds! LOL! And people who did not know me as well, but wanted to give me a gift bought us disposables,which we never used.But they cared enough to buy a gift!!!
I always thought the point of a baby shower was to help a mother get the needed baby items.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
Kaylazo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I hear you. That's completley normal. My mom invited about 55+ to my shower and maybe 10 RSVPed! She ended up not having a good head count prior and about 45-50 showed up. I couldn't believe how many people don't actually RSVP. Also, I registered at Target (had some cloth on there) and also on a cloth specific registry. People ended up buying a ton from my Target registry (mostly the weekend/week before) but not a single cloth diaper. I was just thankful for all the goodies and was happy to fund my stash myself since we got so many other good things. I think unless someone else clothes they are reluctant to buy just out of the *unknown* factor. Try not to sweat it and be happy, you'll have a great shower and lots of great gifts (mostly that you can exchange anyways!).
Kaylazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I always thought the point of a baby shower was to help a mother get the needed baby items.
I think that was it *traditionally* and I think that people still expect to gift things to the new mother, but is the idea that you can ONLY come if you bring me something & it MUST be from the registry?

The idea that not only do you have to bring me gifts, but they have to be exactly what I registered for or I wont appreciate them or be happy with the party .... I can only say that I am glad that I have never attended a party like that & I hope that I am raising my children to be more grateful & appreciative.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

For dd's 1st bday we invited 65 & about 40 came & only 2 rsvp'ed lol

Also for my shower I didn't get any cloth diapers only disposables but we ended up using them when we were camping so it worked out. For your twins I would keep some sposies on hand I mean what if your washer or dryer broke? That happened to us & I was happy to have my shower sposies.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote