Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anybody know about massage or pressure points

When I was pregnant with DJ, I went for a massage pretty regularly. The young lady who did it told me that in her classes, they tought them to be very careful with pregnant women's feet/ankles because there is a pressure point down there that will induce labor. She was so freaked out by it that she would never go below my knees when I was pregnant. I got a pedicure the other day and they of course were massaging my feet and ankles and calves (or cankles!). Apparently they didn't hit the spot because I'm still here but I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this or knew anything about it?

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anybody know about massage or pressure points

There is supposed to be a reflex point on the insides of your ankles. They say if you rub just inside of where the big tendon on the back of you ankle is and around under your inside ankle bone that it is connected to the uterus and can cause labour. They warn you in massage school not to massage a pregnant woman there unless you are trying to induce labour.

A girl I went to massage school with rubbed herself almost raw and it didn't work. When I was pregnant with the girls I would often have pain from being so big and growing so quickly. My husband (also a massage therapist) would massage me there gently and it seemed to help. That was also right before my c-section so we weren't worried about labour.

I think it's similar to the castor oil and stuff that if you aren't ready it won't work. But you can always try. Rub and also apply pressure to the area and see what happens. There was a day when I had really bad gas pains (I know TMI) but the side of my leg by my knee was also killing me. That is supposed to be the reflex point for the stomach and intestines so there could be come credit to the idea.

Sorry for the rambling! I hope you don't have to wait much longer.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks...I wasn't really trying to start anything yet...I just happened to remember hearing that last time and wondered about it. I know there are a few others who are trying natural methods to get things moving so it might help them. Thanks!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Oh yeah, I came across a whole page with them on it last time I looked, LOL. I think there are a couple on the feet that are supposed to be no-nos when you're pregnant but I think one of them is more potent. I agree - I haven't really heard of it working on anyone, though.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
massage mama
Registered Users

There are reflex points in the inside of your ankles and fleshy part of your thumb (palm side) for your uterus/prostate. And on the outside of the ankle is the ovaries/testes.
I still massage feet and ankles when someone is preggo because there are so many other benefits of massage in those areas. No labour inducement yet. But I do not press the reflex points for those areas unles requested. But most women already know about it and are totally worried already of ankles being treated. But the swelling of the ankles is releived by some massge there. So I would let them know what the benefits are and let them make the decision.
T
massage mama is offline   Reply With Quote