Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
gbird1
Registered Users

My Mood:
sleepy baby while feeding

Hi --my almost 4 week old daughter falls asleep while feeding, sometimes within a minute or two of latching on and getting the letdown. And then she flutter feeds, like 4-5 sucks and then a swallow. At 3 weeks, she was just back her birthweight and im worried she is lagging behind b/c of the inefficient way she feeds. She seems so skinny to me, and at almost a month, I thought she'd show more signs of extra cheeks and rolls, even though her dad and I are both naturally skinny.

She takes a long time too, almost an hour from start to finish, for me to feel like she is getting enough. The thing is--I often have to wake her to feed, though less so lately. Im worried that my milk production will be less too, b/c she is not taking enough. I was feeding her about every 3 to 3.5 hours, but I since yesterday I have started feeding her every 2 to 2.5 hours. However, she pees and poops a good amount. I try different tactics to keep her alert, like switching breasts as soon as she nods off, keep her cool by removing clothes, switching positions, changing her diaper, massaging her head, etc.

Anybody out there with a sleepy baby? Any other tactics that worked for you? My next appointment is this tuesday, so hopefully she has gained some weight. Thanks!!

Advertisement

gbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: sleepy baby while feeding

DS was exactly the same and some people suggested I switch sides back and forth and the motion would wake him up.

Nope, didn't work. If he wanted to sleep, he slept and if he wanted to eat, he ate. I had very little say in the whole matter. He is a slim baby and always has been

Sounds like your LO is peeing and pooping fine, so I wouldn't worry too much. Babies let you know when they are unhappy, so keep up the great work
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as your babe is getting enough wet and poopy dipes, things are going well!

My DD was VERY sleepy when feeding for weeks! We tried everything including having DH assault her with a cold washcloth (terrible to admit but true). I was totally paranoid that she wasn't getting enough.

One day she just grew out of it - likely your LO will too!

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was like that at that age. As long as she is eliminating enough, I wouldn't worry about it and instead, take a nap w/her. That's what I did!

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
amis3girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto!
amis3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:32 AM   #6
Seven
Registered Users

I swear my dd slept, (and bf'd) the first 3 months of her life, with little reprieve. Unless you have reason to believe that your baby isn't strong enough to eat 'complete' meals, then I think you're doing fine. Sounds like that isn't an issue since she's eliminating plenty.

Usually that kind of behavior is only troublesome when the baby isn't eliminating enough and isn't gaining weight.. babies who have 'low tone' for instance are actually tiring out from the feedings.. in those situations usually feeding from one side then a vigorous burping then onto the next will both stimulate the baby, and your production... A general rule of thumb for weight gain is an ounce a day give or take- like don't freak out when it isn't every day, that's more of a weekly average kind of thing KWIM!?
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
myr44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd check on her latch to make sure she's on correctly.
I'd be worried that my supply would go down eventually as well. My son did the exact same thing as your dd. I had a strong let down so he didn't need to work for the milk. After 2 mths, my supply went dangerously low and I didn't know what to do. I didn't have the forceful letdown anymore and ds wasn't getting enough milk. Turns out he had a tongue-tie, so he couldn't latch on as deeply as he should. I had to be on Domperidone to get my supply back up.

Just another perspective...
Old 05-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
julucas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We must have the exact same child! My DD was a sleepy eater forEVER!!!! Finally she is 6 months old and puts a *little* bit more effort into her eating. She would seriously rather lay down and nurse all day long. No rush for her!

I would say just hang in there. Sounds like you're doing all the right things!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little man did that for the first month as well. One thing that the Lactation Consutants showed me was to take your pointer and middle fingers and walk then, fairly hard, up both sides of his/her spine (if you have fingernails, it is even better). It activates their shallow nerve endings and wakes them up. When I did is to DS, he would arch his back and wake up, and then nurse better. Hope that helps. Also, if you are seeing lots of full diapers, both #1 and #2, I would not worry about your baby getting enough. Follow your intuition, doing that has helped me tremendously!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
-ashley-
Banned

My Mood:

Strip her naked! down to her dipe! i would tickel Brae on her jawbone by her ear and she would suck pretty gooed even if she was asleep. GL!!
-ashley- is offline   Reply With Quote