Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Small chest freezer in an apartment?

This may be a dumb question but I'm looking into getting one of these, possibly, for our small apartment sometime in the near-ish future. We have room in the kitchen for one, tucked in a corner. I just haven't met someone or known someone who has a chest freezer, even a really small one, in their apartment. Would it be fine? Or are these type of freezers better suited for houses/garages? We are on the second floor if that matters any. It shouldn't ruin flooring or anything like that, right?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Igloo+-+...&skuId=5038556

That's the one I'm looking at.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
kbates05
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did while we were in college. They can't tell u no. Moving a chest freezer is no fun task though but it can be done and we did it for a couple years.
kbates05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Small chest freezer in an apartment?

You may want to ok it with your landlord and make sure the there is an outlet sufficient for the load. If something happens and your chest freezer causes major damage you could be in some serious financial hurt, especially if you did not have their permission to put it in. I can't think of any floor damage it might cause- it doesn't have any water component to leak and if stuff melts inside it should stay contained inside. And they are generally quiet so it should disturb you or your down stairs neighbor. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is the electrical I have already mentioned. They don't use a ton of energy but if your building electrical is already at max or you use the wrong size outlet in could cause problems possibly even a fire. Which is why I say check with the landlord and have permission first.

We have a chest freezer but we own our own home, never had one in an apartment but then I have also only ever lived in an apartment for a year in my whole life.

I have heard of people keeping them in their house, but I have never met someone who did. Everyone I know keeps them in a garage or basement, but I believe that is only because of space. My mil has one very similar to the one your looking at. To be honest unless your really organized there is a lot of wasted space. It has like one removable shelf think about 3/4 of the way up. Everything else would be piled below and unless your organized you'd be digging through everything when your looking for something. You'd want to keep your most used items on the shelf basket thing. We have a super large one so that I can put crates in it to organize and have easy access while still using the space efficiently. I do know some people use bags (one for meat, one for veggies, one for fruit or however you want it separated) so they can pull the bag out and find what they need more simply.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've got a chest freezer dh can carry by himself. Probably would need another set of hands up stairs but its not that heavy
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
You may want to ok it with your landlord and make sure the there is an outlet sufficient for the load. If something happens and your chest freezer causes major damage you could be in some serious financial hurt, especially if you did not have their permission to put it in. I can't think of any floor damage it might cause- it doesn't have any water component to leak and if stuff melts inside it should stay contained inside. And they are generally quiet so it should disturb you or your down stairs neighbor. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is the electrical I have already mentioned. They don't use a ton of energy but if your building electrical is already at max or you use the wrong size outlet in could cause problems possibly even a fire. Which is why I say check with the landlord and have permission first.

We have a chest freezer but we own our own home, never had one in an apartment but then I have also only ever lived in an apartment for a year in my whole life.

I have heard of people keeping them in their house, but I have never met someone who did. Everyone I know keeps them in a garage or basement, but I believe that is only because of space. My mil has one very similar to the one your looking at. To be honest unless your really organized there is a lot of wasted space. It has like one removable shelf think about 3/4 of the way up. Everything else would be piled below and unless your organized you'd be digging through everything when your looking for something. You'd want to keep your most used items on the shelf basket thing. We have a super large one so that I can put crates in it to organize and have easy access while still using the space efficiently. I do know some people use bags (one for meat, one for veggies, one for fruit or however you want it separated) so they can pull the bag out and find what they need more simply.
Good idea, I would definitely need to ask them first. And we'd mostly be wanting to use it for breast milk if I'm able to breast feed and have a good supply, plus meat later on so we can stock up for sales. Now, our refrigerator freezer is super tiny and not much fits in there as it is. :/
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I don't see why you would need to ask permission first. We never have. It doesn't even have a heavy duty cord. Just a regular 3 prong with a normal cord. I highly doubt it even pulls as much electric as a refrigerator. After all it isn't getting opened up as often.

This is for the smallest chest freezer with a 5.1 cubit foot capacity.
Quote:
Power and Performance:

Compressor Noise Level (dB.): 0
Kilowatt Hrs. per Year: 242
This is for a small refrigerator with a 10.7 cubit foot capacity so pretty small.
Quote:
Performance:

Control Type: Mechanical
Kilowatt Hrs. per Year: 378
This is a 14.8 cubit foot chest freezer. So greater capacity than the small refrigerator.
Quote:
Power and Performance:

Kilowatt Hrs. per Year: 357
It uses less energy than the small refrigerator.

These were taken from Sears web site. None of these models were Energy Star rated.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 09-17-2013 at 10:03 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I don't see why you would need to ask permission first. We never have. It doesn't even have a heavy duty cord. Just a regular 3 prong with a normal cord. I highly doubt it even pulls as much electric as a refrigerator. After all it isn't getting opened up as often.
If the apartment isn't electrically set up to support 2 fridges (small or otherwise) that could present a problem for all the tenants. We have no idea what kind of apartment she lives in, if its say a home that has been converted into an a couple of apartments she might blow the fuses every time she tries to run stuff. Which could be annoying and an inconvenience to all her neighbors. Say the ac or heat cuts on when they are not home and the flip the breaker. I live in a house and I blow my fuses every time I run the microwave and vacuum at the same time because our box is too small for the size of the house.

And if something does happen- like something serious and the landlord finds that they had an unapproved appliance in there they could get sued. Its a better safe than sorry step. They probably don't need to tell them, but it could save them some trouble later on. it is considered a major appliance no matter what the size- its not considered a small appliance like a toaster. And some landlords don't want any major appliances brought in.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
If the apartment isn't electrically set up to support 2 fridges (small or otherwise) that could present a problem for all the tenants. We have no idea what kind of apartment she lives in, if its say a home that has been converted into an a couple of apartments she might blow the fuses every time she tries to run stuff. Which could be annoying and an inconvenience to all her neighbors. Say the ac or heat cuts on when they are not home and the flip the breaker. I live in a house and I blow my fuses every time I run the microwave and vacuum at the same time because our box is too small for the size of the house.

And if something does happen- like something serious and the landlord finds that they had an unapproved appliance in there they could get sued. Its a better safe than sorry step. They probably don't need to tell them, but it could save them some trouble later on. it is considered a major appliance no matter what the size- its not considered a small appliance like a toaster. And some landlords don't want any major appliances brought in.
If that is happening I would be willing to bet the house is not legally able to be rented. One person's electric usage should not be affecting another persons electric usage.

As far as I understand the AC or electric heat should have it's own breaker.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

I had a freezer in an apartment for about 2 years. Never a problem. I do have a funny for you when you say it is for breast milk, My daughter got a freezer for breast milk when she filled the refrigerator one. Before long she filled the small chest and purchased a second one from craigslist. When that one filled her father gave her an older model chest freezer. When my granddaughter hit one she refused to drink it. She was fortunate to find a mama on craigslist needing it since she did not produce enough and her daughter was allergic to all formulas. There was enough for her daughter until over one. My daughter said she was glad since that was a lot of work let alone the expense for the bags and all. Good luck!
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Ae have had a small chest freezer in our apt for about two years now. Other than being creative with storing it and organizing the inside, it has posed no problems. I never thought to ask my landlord but no other people also have them in their apts., its common knowledge and there is no problems in my lease.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote