Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
sweetppolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Math Choices

I am very unhappy with the math program we purchased for my 3rd grader. I bought a public school textbook, Scott Foresman, and it is very boring and difficult. I am using McRuffy with my 2nd grader and she loves it. I need suggestions for Math that isn't as expensive as McRuffy but not as boring and hard to teach as the public school. I was even thinking doing something like Time4Learning for just math but I prefer her writing it out than doing online. I am so frustrated because everything else we switched to this year has been great and math is very important to my dh. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

We love math-u-see so far!
margaretkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Math Choices

I've only ever used Horizons math (going on 5 years), and we're happy with it. They sell it as two workbooks per grade, plus a teacher's manual. The workbooks are like $17 each, and the teacher's manual I found to be pricy and unnecessary. I bought it my first year and never used it.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
sweetppolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have looked at both of these. Thanks for suggestions. I am going to see how she does on the placement tests on both.

Does Horizons have a bunch of religion mixed into it? I know Math-U-See seems secular enough.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

My third grader is using math mammoth. We both are loving it. In fact a co-op just ended to get grades 1-6 for half price! I jumped at it and plan to start my dd pin first grade in January.
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We love Math-U-See. We are going on our 9th year with it.

I have heard a lot about Life of Fred, but it seems to get mixed reviews as to whether it is a stand alone curriculum or a supplement.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofhearts View Post
My third grader is using math mammoth. We both are loving it. In fact a co-op just ended to get grades 1-6 for half price! I jumped at it and plan to start my dd pin first grade in January.
We're MM fans, too. I SO regret all the money I spent on Right Start Math!
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have not used Life of Fred for elementary but my older son LOVES IT! for pre-algebra and it is enough for him as a stand alone. I will say that he is math minded and doesn't need a lot to "get it". I have him do some extra work at Khan academy but that is more just for fun and to make sure he is staying solid. He is doing excellent, far better than he was when we were using Saxon last year (not that Saxon isn't a good program but it is boring and was a bit much for my child who hates to write). If your child enjoys reading/learns well through reading LOF might be a good program. If your child struggles with math you might need something else but there are some free supplements out there (like Khan which I think is a wonderful program).

For my hands on super busy younger child I use Great Source books. We used Math To Learn plus the Teacher Resource Book last year. I bought the book at a library sale for $.50 and the Resource book for $2.00 a Half Price Books. There are also work books you can buy pretty cheap. This year I am trying out a program called Hands on Standards which uses manipulatives. He likes it but I am not as crazy about it. The book wasn't much but all of the manipulatives were expensive. I will probably go back to the Great Source books when we finish it. They have them all the way through Calculus but we may switch over to LOF if I think he will do well with it. He has several years before we get there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
This is what we used for 2nd grade. They are really cheap used.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love and my kids love Teaching Textbooks! Its AWESOME! Worth every penny and you can re-use it with multiple kids and resell when your done. :-)
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
7mom7
Registered Users

We use both Singapore Math and Mathematical Reasoning. We'll probably end up doing math through the summer to finish both but I'd prefer we do year round school so hopefully it will work out. There were things I really liked about each program and I couldn't decide between them so I got both They were super affordable.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote