Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
anyone work for bank of america? maternity leave question.

i have a friend who does, well she's in training anyhow. she's due to have her baby boy nov 4th. she's in her second week w/bank of america now (they don't even know she's preggo yet). anyhow she's thinking she's going to get full paid maternity leave for like 6 or 8 weeks b/c the benefits start once you've been there for 3 months. i don't think so though...normally that's a "benefit" you get from a company only after you've been there for a year. anyhow is there anyone on here who works for bank of america that can tell me this for sure. i don't think she's going to even ask...just assume since she looks at that as a benefit. anyhow LMK!

Advertisement

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: anyone work for bank of america? maternity leave question.

I started a new job when I was pregnant and got maternity leave. I took fmla. I had to use my accrued vacation time and when that ran out, the rest was unpaid. She will probably get a maternity leave but I doubt that it will be paid. FMLA only guarantees that they will hold your job, it doesn't guarantee that it will be paid.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

i figured that they may hold her job for a short period. i was working for a comp w/my first that when i went onto bedrest they allowed it for so long, considering it my maternity leave..but i did have to end up quitting b/c they could only hold my position for 3 weeks. it was all unpaid, and i had only been with the company for 3 months i think.
i just think she's going to be very disappointed, and it may cause some financial issues...IMO she should've stuck with the job she had.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
offspringluke
Registered Users

And FMLA generally only covers you if you have been there one year OR 1250 hours, depending on how it is calculated by your company. I found that out the hard way at my last job. I worked for a womens college, and even if i HAD been covered by FMLA, it would have been UNPAID leave after I had used up all my vacation/sick time.
She should definitely ask rather than just assume, she could really put herself in a bind if she thinks it will be paid or her job will be held and it isn't. HTH.
offspringluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

When I was pg with dd I had to be on full bedrest at 22 weeks. I used my vacation time and sick days first and then short term disability kicked in until the baby was 6 weeks old. I was paid 80% of my pay so that was great. My FMLA started when my disability ended and I got an additional 3 months off without pay. When I had to stop working due to my dd's "issues" I was told they'd hold my job for up to a year. I truely believe FMLA is after you've worked there a year but some companies can go with it if you've been there less than that it's just not a guarentee. My company was great and despite not taking them up on the job hold they asked me back just a few months ago (which I again declined as I am about to have #3) and I was told my job will always be waiting for me to return to. It's been 2 years and 4 months since I stopped working there.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

a company is only required to follow the guidelines of FMLA after you've been there a year. however, each company is free to set up it's own maternity leave benefits however it sees fit (as long as they're in compliance with FMLA). also it depends on what state you live in - CA for example has some additional benefits that employers are required (not sure what the eligibility requirements are).

she should definitely check what BoA's policies are. although i can understand if they don't already know she's pg that it's touchy to bring up - but i would assume she can't keep it a secret for too much longer if she's due in early nov.

for example, the company i worked for when i was pg w/ dd - i had been there just over a year so i was eligible for the 6 weeks UNPAID leave that's available through FMLA. i could also use my vacation/sick time to get paid. however, that company's policy on paid maternity leave was based on your tenure there - so after 2 years working there you got 1-2 weeks and it kept building up to a maximum (can't remember exactly what). and of course depending on how much they want you back some companies are willing to leave the door open for you (unpaid of course) for a period of time. also FMLA doesn't guarantee you your same job back - just a similar job.

Last edited by wbkt8; 06-29-2006 at 01:48 PM.
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

this is everything i thought. i'll try to continue to encourage her to ask...or hopefully they'll offer up the info when she finally tells them that she's pg!!! i think she's being silly about several other things as well but it's all JMO and doesn't really matter i suppose. this one i thought could cause her financial issues after the baby's born and i didn't want to see that happen.