Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

Advertisement

Last edited by squiddles; 10-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Re: talk to me about no contract/pre paid cell phones!

Look up MVONs here.... might be another option for you...I've heard ting is great.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Looking forward to the answers... I have AT&T and was thinking of switching to their prepaid but dont know anyone who has it.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
gidget27
Registered Users
seller
seller

I recently did the opposite, but have ended up paying less per month. i had pre-paid through T-mobile and switched to Ting wireless. They have these individual usage brackets for text, data and minutes and at the end of each month they see where your usage of each fell under and only charge you for that. I was able to add data for the times I needed to look up stuff on the go and end up paying less than I was with pre-paid. No contract either.

I mention it only because in my case, pre-paid wasn't actually the best choice as far as savings.
gidget27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We left AT&T about 18 months ago and switched to StraightTalk, which is through Wal-Mart. We still have smartphones, kept our numbers from before, and spend just under $100 on unlimited minutes, text, and data. Our coverage is as good as or better than any other company we've been with (been with a few, as we're military). We pay on a monthly schedule, just like we did when we were in a contract, except we aren't in a contract.

Now, our daughter has an absolute basic TracPhone -- as in, the cheapest one they had. She can text on it, but it is the old school texting, where you have to hit each button until you get the right letter. Hers is one where you buy the minutes and activate them. 3 texts count as one minute of time. We've only bought minutes for it once, and they were doubled when we put them on the phone. Don't know if that is the usual thing or if there was something special going on right then. As I said, we've only bought minutes once.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have straight talk through walmart and live in a rual area and don't have any problems w coverage. A lot of times coverage is better bc they don't have there own towers so they have contracts w bigger companies to use there towers- so basically if a tower exists ( no matter company) you can use it. I live in Nebraska but have family in Michigan so travel there a lot never had problems w coverage here or there or anywhere in between.

For a basic plan it is about 30$ a month.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have straight talk too. It costs us the same BUT we went from no texting, no internet, no anything but picture and calling capability to everything (dh has unlimited for $45 and I have 1000 text plus what ever I don't even know because I don't come close to using everything for $30). So while we pay the same the value is greater. We've get coverage every where we got coverage with verizon.

Last edited by jbug_4; 09-20-2013 at 03:06 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

I switched to straight talk about 5 months ago. The last letter of the model number of your new phone tells you what carrier you will primarily be on. Mine ends in C and I'm on Verizon . I found that info online. Their CS stinks but I have only had to use it to activate the phone. I activated my phone on straight talk and told them I wanted to keep my number...they do the switch and my old company(Sprint) automatically canceled . I also signed up for the insurance plus plan. $19.95 For the year
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have smart phones on Virgin Mobile. It has been a less than stellar experience. Texts get lost for hours; calls go to voicemail when they shouldn't. VM uses the Sprint network and we had similar problems with Sprint, though not as frequent. DH tried their "hotspot" add-on with his phone and it was terrible. He switched to a T-Mobile hotspot gadget, and he seems satisfied.

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I used tracfone for years and recently switched to page plus. Howard forums is a good place to go if you want to really research each plan.