Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Browning lots of ground beef?

Ok, it"s freezer cooking weekend so I am making a bunch of casseroles. I need to brown 14-15lbs of burger for these casseroles. Is there a way to do this in the oven?

We normally all meet at a church kitchen and have huge pans to use so frying up lots of burger isn't a big deal. But there is a funeral and we had to give up the big kitchen and we're all doing our stuff at home and meeting to exchange food. I don't have huge pans and it will take forever to brown that much burger so I'm trying to think of a faster way to do things.

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Browning lots of ground beef?

I'd just use any pan you have and have all 4 burners going. You can brown hamburger in pots, you don't need a frying pain for it. Shouldn't take too long with all 4 burners going.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Although I have never done it in the oven, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Just make sure to season it and break it up periodically. It may not be brown though. It will likely be a bit different in color. In a casserole though I doubt it will make a real difference in flavor.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2 largest pots will only hold 3 (maybe 4 if I'm really careful with stirring) lbs of burger. We fry up burer a couple times a year to stock the freezer so I know how much my big soup pot will hold (which isn't ahuge pot). If I put my big pots on the stove I can only really use 2 burners. I know dh would sit and brown the burger for me while I prep other stuff but it would still take a good hour at least to brown it all.

I didn't think about it not really browning in the oven. If I seasoned it would it at least taste the same? I'm making lasagne so the sauce would mask a slight taste change. The other casserole (runza casserole) doesn't have a sauce so it might be more noticiable if there was a slight taste change.

Maybe I'll just have dh brown it all for me. Since I'm trading most of these casseroles with other people I don't want to make a dud casserole.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote