Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffytwins View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for toothbrushes/paste? I am having a hard time brushing my twins teeth (14months) and they still breastfeed all day/night. One has all her first molars since 12 months and the other twin is getting her top molars now.
We like the toms strawberry paste. And singing toothbrushes

They're expensive but they last forever. Cause even when they're no good as toothbrushes anymore, DD likes to hold them and listen while I brush with a good one

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Breastfeeding and cavities

Have any of you checked your LOs for upper lip ties? Tongue ties and lip ties can make cavities more likely, the upper lip tie by trapping food and bacteria in pockets close to those upper teeth, and tongue ties by limiting the tongue's ability to sweep food out of those pockets. http://www.kiddsteeth.com/articles/ttfactssheet.pdf

Breastmilk by itself is anticariogenic -- it will NOT decay teeth. When you add a simple carb, like a Goldfish cracker, then you have the makings for cavities . Unless you brush.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I took my DD in for a second opinion and she has pits in her teeth from reflux.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Decaying teeth in baby teeth do not require dental work. Decay can be halted/healed naturally without putting kiddos through dental work/surgery. My son developed decay ar 13 months and it's been healed for 2 years now. He just turned 4 and is still nursing during the night. If anyone would like our story let me know. I have a long detailed email saved on my laptop.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #25
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
Decaying teeth in baby teeth do not require dental work. Decay can be halted/healed naturally without putting kiddos through dental work/surgery. My son developed decay ar 13 months and it's been healed for 2 years now. He just turned 4 and is still nursing during the night. If anyone would like our story let me know. I have a long detailed email saved on my laptop.
I would like to know how they were healed.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama! DS just had to have his top four front teeth pulled a couple weeks ago. He has never had juice, bottles etc...I always brushed. He just has bad teeth. I found many peer reviewed studies showing that breast milk alone doesn't cause tooth decay. They of course blamed night nursing but I think they just feel like they have to blame it on something. She tried to tell me to wipe his teeth wit ha cloth after nursing at night...like that's not going to wake him up! Thankfully the procedure went well and he was back to himself in a day or two. He was put under general anesthesia for it. I hate that he's going to be toothless in front until his adult teeth come in but in the scheme of things it could be such a worse medical condition. I think theres a lot of judgement from people about teeth. They see rotten or no teeth and assume you don't take care of them. Some kids really just don't have good enamel though.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
yes please! waterisntsomething@hotmail.com
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #28
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it's nursing either. My DD is 5 and just had her first cavity. She nursed until over 4, night nursed until 2ish. DS is almost 3 still nursing day and night and he doesn't have any cavities.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #29
90924teeth
Registered Users
seller

It's scary how much misinformation is on this thread.

Eeryone's teeth, genetics, and habits are different. Just because mom A nursed and their child didn't get cavities doesnt mean the same thing will happen to mom B. Too many variables: when did the teeth erupt how long how frequent does baby nurse are solids involved etc etc.

Breast milk contains lactose and will contribute to baby bottle decay just like cows milk.

Dentist's actually are there to help you. Find one you trust and help them help you to help your child.
90924teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #30
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90924teeth View Post
It's scary how much misinformation is on this thread.

Eeryone's teeth, genetics, and habits are different. Just because mom A nursed and their child didn't get cavities doesnt mean the same thing will happen to mom B. Too many variables: when did the teeth erupt how long how frequent does baby nurse are solids involved etc etc.

Breast milk contains lactose and will contribute to baby bottle decay just like cows milk.

Dentist's actually are there to help you. Find one you trust and help them help you to help your child.
Um... anecdotal evidence always beats research. Are you new to the interwebs?