Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
kingprawn
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and cavities

Too funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Um... anecdotal evidence always beats research. Are you new to the interwebs?

Advertisement

kingprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #32
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

My little one didn't have any trouble with cavities but I think she just lucked out with good teeth. I actually wrote a paper about the correlation between breastfeeding/formula feeding and cavities. Basically, all my research indicated that any nighttime feeding can lead to cavities. The problem is that there's sugar in milk and formula and if it sits on the teeth for several hours overnight, bacteria that cause cavities will flourish. To limit the bacteria, you can brush or wipe the teeth after feedings. I would think that water after feedings would help to rinse some out the mouth too but it's no more practical than brushing teeth in the middle of the night. I'd suggest you keep doing what you can to keep those chompers clean and thank goodness for baby teeth.
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #33
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegmama View Post
My little one didn't have any trouble with cavities but I think she just lucked out with good teeth. I actually wrote a paper about the correlation between breastfeeding/formula feeding and cavities. Basically, all my research indicated that any nighttime feeding can lead to cavities. The problem is that there's sugar in milk and formula and if it sits on the teeth for several hours overnight, bacteria that cause cavities will flourish. To limit the bacteria, you can brush or wipe the teeth after feedings. I would think that water after feedings would help to rinse some out the mouth too but it's no more practical than brushing teeth in the middle of the night. I'd suggest you keep doing what you can to keep those chompers clean and thank goodness for baby teeth.
You didn't do adequate research. Bteastmilk is GOOD for clean teeth. Studies show that it actually strengthens teeth. Now, breastmilk and food particles equals great conditions for tooth decay. But breastmilk alone is beneficial.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
Connor
Registered Users
seller

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffytwins View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for toothbrushes/paste? I am having a hard time brushing my twins teeth (14months) and they still breastfeed all day/night. One has all her first molars since 12 months and the other twin is getting her top molars now.
We use the Weleda children's. Reg toothbrushes. I'm a big stickler in teeth brushing. As soon as a tooth pokes through the gums the brushing begins. We let them brush first and then we brush them.

We have a song too to the tune row row row your boat

Brush brush brush your teeth
Brush them every day
Up and down and all around
So they won't decay
Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #36
Jody1492
Registered Users
seller

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/
Here's some good information on how bfing and bottlefeeding are different. Brush after food and then nurse at night. My DD had a cavity on her front tooth, but it was only one. Dentist first tried to say it was nursing, but then he himself said, well, usually that is all four of them, and said that this particular tooth might have been weaker or damaged in some way. People's teeth are just different. You just do your best, but nursing has so many benefits no one should stop because of fear of cavities.
Jody1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I checked DS's upper lip...and he has an obvious lip tie. I can't believe I never noticed it before. I had to use a nipple shield the first few weeks because he just couldn't get his upper lip up over the nipple right. That explains that.Either way he has weak teeth because he had some minor cavities in different teeth that were filled but I'm sure that didn't help with the bad decay in those top four teeth.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #38
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohaas

We use the Weleda children's. Reg toothbrushes. I'm a big stickler in teeth brushing. As soon as a tooth pokes through the gums the brushing begins. We let them brush first and then we brush them.

We have a song too to the tune row row row your boat

Brush brush brush your teeth
Brush them every day
Up and down and all around
So they won't decay
I totally sing that song too!