Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Husband lost job

I need advice and this is the best place I know to ask for it. My husband lost his job three weeks ago. We had enough money to cover two months worth of important bills. After October we will have nothing. I don't know what to do or where to turn. Here's what our bills are:

Rent $850
Gas $27
Electric $75
Cable $135 (called and they said, "I don't know what you want us to do about it)
Phones: $180 (again said there is nothing that can do about it)
Water $35
Sewage $20
Gas to work $400 a month
Food $400 a month
Car lease $402
Insurance $117
Student loan $50
Credit cards $75

My husbands new job is not generating any money until he sells something. They hired him as a salesman and not a manager so he is straight commission. He's put in 20 other applications and no one has called him back. I can't work as there is no one to watch the children. We can't borrow from any one else in the family. Do you ladies know of ANY way I can generate money, beg with our creditors or get a personal loan with no pay stubs? We've sold a lot of things already. The Ipad, movies. The Xbox and my sewing machines are next This is so embarrassing

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

And is he selling things? Is this the right position for him?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Husband lost job

honestly, there are a few at home jobs that you can do, but they are minimal. so you might want to just work as often as you can and take care of the smaller bills. both of you can do them, if you have two computers.

http://www.slicethepie.com/?wyd=335183 - listen to, and rate songs.

You could also try www.odesk.com, if you can do any freelance work, data transcription, or anything like that.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
And is he selling things? Is this the right position for him?
Well he has never done anything else. He quit school several years ago so he doesn't have a degree. When he sells, he makes plenty for us. The company he was with had their vice president take over the store. He basically fired everyone that worked there under the previous GM. He is selling the same product, just for a different company. The difference is he is straight commission. He was a manager at the other place and had a salary too.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Call the cable and phone company. Tell them you want them turned off effective immediately. If they cannot cooperate they will not get paid. I had to do this. They did decide to do an early cancelations with a fee. The fee was less than continuing the contract.

If your husband makes no sales it would be better for him to save the gas money while you both job hunt.

Has he applied for unemployment?
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
honestly, there are a few at home jobs that you can do, but they are minimal. so you might want to just work as often as you can and take care of the smaller bills. both of you can do them, if you have two computers.

http://www.slicethepie.com/?wyd=335183 - listen to, and rate songs.

You could also try www.odesk.com, if you can do any freelance work, data transcription, or anything like that.
Thank you! I will look at them now.

I honestly wish I could work. I want to work. There is just zero way possible. He works until 9pm 6 days a week and its a hour drive home. I too only have a high school diploma.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Call the cable and phone company. Tell them you want them turned off effective immediately. If they cannot cooperate they will not get paid. I had to do this. They did decide to do an early cancelations with a fee. The fee was less than continuing the contract.

If your husband makes no sales it would be better for him to save the gas money while you both job hunt.

Has he applied for unemployment?
Ok, I will make him try again telling them to just shut them off. He told them he lost his job and both pulled the, "well you signed a contract" I begged him for years to never sign a contract.

He hasn't applied for unemployment because of their "reason" for termination. He had a paid vacation, took it, came back and my Aunt suddenly died, they approved 3 days off and when he returned told him it wasn't approved.

I agree that he should just find a job he's over qualified for, but this new company is remodeling, said in 6-8 months he'll manage his own store. SO he doesn't want to leave.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If they refuse to turn off services demand to speak to a supervisor. Make it plain you simply cannot pay them. You will not choose to pay them over feeding your kids. I had to be very insistent when speaking to them. One woman told me talking to management would not change the answer. I insisted on speaking to her supervisor anyway. They were able to do what the initial person just did not have the authority to do.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Try for the unemployment any way. All they can say is no. You will nit be hurt by applying.

My husband was fired for refusing to go into work. He applied for unemployment and was denied. He disputed the denial. Unemployment assigned someone to investigate. What the company failed to disclose was he refused to drive during a blizzard preceded by an ice storm. Several people died that night trying to drive that road, including a distant cousin of my husband. Unemployment dismissed the companies refusal and awarded my husband unemployment benefits.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you donate plasma? Here they have free childcare while you are donating and if you donate twice a week, I think they pay about $50, that's an extra $200/month doesn't solve all your problems, but it could take care of a few of your utilities.

How much do you have left on your care lease? that is a high payment to have now? Call the company and see if you can turn it in early, what kind of penalty is there.

Call and get the student loan put in forbearance, I wouldn't pay anything on your CC right now.

Focus on food, shelter, utilities and lastly clothing, since most of the time we all have way more than we need. But kids are always growing, so save what little you have for shoes and things they have to have in bigger sizes.

Don't focus on the big stuff to sell, make sure you aren't over looking lots of little things? like a small lot of clothing that is outgrown, or shoes in your closet that are still in great shape but you don't wear.

Call the utilities and see if there are any help programs.

Sorry you are going through a tough time, I know when commission is good it's great, but when starting out, boy is it hard!

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote