Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

Re: Term NICU baby won't latch

I know this is a few days old, but a nipple shield helped me in this situation.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey! When my DD was born she would not nurse. She had no interest in my nipples for more than a week and a half. I would end up feeding her a bottle of pumped milk every time. It made me so sad. I had no support and my now ex told me to just quit and feed her formula. I ended up offering her my breast every time she was hungry even in the middle of the night which was hard and I did not feed on a schedule just on demand. That way when I was feeding her I knew she was hungry and would be more likely to breast feed. After about two or more weeks she finally began to latch (kinda) enough that I could tell she figured out milk came out of there. Then I start breastfeeding her while she was naked up top and I was also topless. Kinda of offering her a really comforting feeling. After more than a month I finally got her to exclusively breastfeed. My babies doctor was very encouraging and an is the one that convinced me to keep going.
It did eventually work though. Maybe you could try those ideas? Keep going mama you can do it!
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
Was he a big baby? Is that why he had the sugar issues?
I had gestational diabetes which was controlled with medication, but he still had hyperinsulinemia which caused the hypoglycemia. He was only 8lb 8oz (my other two were 10lb 12oz and 9lb 15oz) and both had hypoglycemia at birth as well.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
poppan
Registered Users
seller

How are things going now? One of my babies was in the NICU 6 weeks and had massive nipple confusion--actually he wasn't confused, he had nipple PREFERENCE. I still think it was one of the hardest things I ever did, switching him back to the breast.

One thing that helped me was squeezing my boob into a sandwich and holding my boob in his mouth, making sure he had a large mouthful of boob in mouth (so that nipple would be far enough in). also if he was super hungry, I'd give him a little bit in a bottle first--enough to take the edge off--because he was more willing to work at the boob if he wasn't starving.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been offering the breast at each feeding. About once or twice a day he has done about half his feeling at the breast and then Once the flow slows down he gets frustrated and I give him an ounce in a bottle. When he does a full feeding from the bottle he usually takes between 1.5-2.5 ounces depending on how hungry he is.

Today he rejected the breast each time, which was sad. But I seem to be battling plugged ducts and possibly developing mastitis (I think from wearing too tight of a bra yesterday - the hard blocked parts are right where seams in the bra are located. And they're hard, red and hot. Yuck!) so I wasn't as insistent on him latching today because I'm in a lot of pain.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

hugs on the update. massage breast. nipple shield is what I was going to suggest or recline position, or even football hold.