Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you chose a natural birth....

Multiple reasons.

The first is because I had a bad reaction to the epidural with my second birth.

Second, I did not feel the epidurals improved either birth (I had two births with epidural). My first, I still felt a good deal of pain and discomfort, and with my second, I was on oxygen and really out of it.

Third, I learned how to cope with labor pains and found it worked really well.

Fourth, I feel more involved with my births. I'm not trapped on my back indefinitely, with a catheter and monitor shoved up me, waiting for people to tell me when I'm supposed to push. It seemed to me, that as soon as I allowed the epidural, I pretty much had no choices left.

My last two babies have been born with no interventions, and I'm so glad for it. I learned between my 2nd and 3rd that I'm not afraid of the pain of birth. There are sometimes things that do scare me. But not that. That's just part of how babies come into the world, and I was built for it.

Advertisement

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to expose myself or my baby to unneccessary medications. I don't want to end up with a c section or other interventions because I am "slow to progress" with the epidural. I want the baby and I to go home as soon as possible afterward. I know that if I relax I can work with my body and that don't hurt. I used the hypnobirthing Technic. Learned all I have to do is let go and relax and let my body do it think. If you don't resist your birth it doesn't have to hurt.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Michele123
Registered Users
seller

Most of my reasons have been listed already. I hate needles, especially in the spine. I want what's best for baby. I hate unnecessary drugs. I believe my body was created to do this

I had a home water birth and as soon as it was all over I wanted to do it again (though I said I wanted a few months to heal first). I can't wait to do I again in June!!!
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

With my first, I just wanted to see if I was up to the challenge. I did want one when I was in transition but didn't have time (precipitous labor).

The first birth was so awful. Even though I didn't have any of the standard interventions (epidural, pit, IV fluids), I had a huge episiotomy and felt worked on, like I'd been in a car crash. For my second, I wanted to deliver my baby myself, not be the passive and compliant patient while an OB and nurses yelled and worked on me.

Second baby was with midwives and was also a precipitous birth but I stayed confident and focused and, honestly, the idea of pain meds never even occurred to me.

Last edited by Mommy to Eli and Baby#2; 10-01-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I have had epidurals with my three VBA2Cs. But after the last one, my legs remained numb for 14 hours after the birth and it scared me. They thought that I had nerve damage for a time. It turns out that each anesthesiologist uses his own cocktail of drugs that include numbing agents and narcotic agents, and they figure my body was just extra sensitive to one of the ingredients. There is really no way to know which one unless I go digging around in old medical records that will be all but impossible to find since my births have been in all different states!

I feel its safer for me just to forgo it altogether. Its also kind of a personal challenge. This is my last baby and I have a great midwife group and I feel like I have the tools to get through it without an epidural. I was really close with my 4th but they just kept turning up the pit and the pain got so great my body was fighting the contractions and I stopped dilating at 7 cm. Since pit induction is not an option this time due to their policy, I feel like the contractions hopefully will be more manageable.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #16
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
Why I chose a med free birth:

1) Epidurals freak me out. I don't like needles, so someone stabbing a giant one in my back is a no-go for me. Being numb from the waist down also means that I'm stuck in a hospital bed, which is not my idea of a good time, either.

2) I generally dislike unnecessary medications. Drugs are hard on your body, and I prefer to avoid them unless they're genuinely needed.

3) Any intervention sets the stage for more interventions. High epidural rates correspond with higher c section rates. Being stuck in a bed puts you in a less than optimal birthing position, which also makes more interventions more likely. Not that a med free birth guarantees you won't end up in the OBs preferred position, but if you can still move you at least have a chance of doing something different.

Those were the big ones. There's also some stuff about babies tending to be more alert when mom hasn't had an epidural and other less tangible things. That said, having actually given birth now, I totally get why women do opt for an epidural. I still don't want one in the future for all the reasons listed above, but I'm less opinionated about what other women should choose for themselves. I do think that women should be more aware of all the pros and cons of an epidural so they can make a fully informed decision. Given their prevalence, people talk and act like it's the only way to birth and that it's 100% safe 100% of the time. While I don't think most people suffer long term effects, there is still risk, and spinal headaches are not fun. I also think that everyone should have some coping techniques anyway, because there's always the chance the epidural won't work or that there won't be time for one.
Thank you for saving me so much time. Everything she said, plus a massive fear of ending up with a c-section. I had heard before that an epidural impedes your ability to push effectively, and while I know most women don't really need to push hard, my son went into distress and the OB was literally prepping the OR as I frantically pushed and pushed and pushed. My midwives and the L&D nurses agreed that had I used an epidural I would not have been able to push my baby out before the C.

ETA: It's surprising to me how little information women sometimes have about epidurals. I once described getting a spinal tap to some girlfriends and they were appalled and said "Ooh that's horrible! Never!!!" These same girls had said 10 minutes prior that they would 100% get an epidural during labor.

Last edited by Palooka; 10-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #17
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

med free isn't bad at all. If back labor then I don't know how one does it pain free as it really hurts and I couldn't do it.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wanted and had an epidural with my first. At the time I thought it was God's gift to laboring women. I had a long 28 hr labor and my son was sunny side up. Without the epidural and ability to lay a certain way without the pain there was no way he would have turned and I would have had incredibly painful back labor. I was also able to get 4 hours of sleep at the end, without which I would not have had the energy to push him out in 25 minutes! I had no adverse reactions at the time or after and was up and about 2-3 hrs after delivery.

For the second, I really really wanted the epi, but after a short (4 hr) I did not get to the hospital in time for an epi. All I had time for was to arrive at triage get taken to l/d room and pop out baby#2. Time from entering hospital to baby out was 45 minutes. It was an incredible feeling to have naturally birthed my son, but it was not by choice. I was begging for the epidural until about a minute before delivery, then I was begging for the doctor to come bc I knew the baby was on his way out! He was delivered in 2 pushes; I don't know if I could have done it that for hours or even minutes more.

What I'm saying is that you can have your mind set on one thing, but don't feel bad if it doesn't go the way you planned. Just be sure to be educated either way. my husband and I were totally ill prepared for a natural birth. I never practiced any breathing techniques or positions, but it surprising came a bit naturally. My husband had no idea how to "coach" which was fine bc I wasn't listening to him anyways I have pretty low pain tolerance, so if we have a third, I'd probably get the epi again and go to the hospital sooner, haha. But I'm glad for both my laboring experiences and have 2 beautiful healthy boys regardless of how much pain I experienced as they came into this world
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka
Thank you for saving me so much time. Everything she said, plus a massive fear of ending up with a c-section. I had heard before that an epidural impedes your ability to push effectively, and while I know most women don't really need to push hard, my son went into distress and the OB was literally prepping the OR as I frantically pushed and pushed and pushed. My midwives and the L&D nurses agreed that had I used an epidural I would not have been able to push my baby out before the C. ETA: It's surprising to me how little information women sometimes have about epidurals. I once described getting a spinal tap to some girlfriends and they were appalled and said "Ooh that's horrible! Never!!!" These same girls had said 10 minutes prior that they would 100% get an epidural during labor.
Just wondering, is a spinal tap the same procedure? Is the pain the same?
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an epidural with my first. I couldn't feel my legs for about 10 hours after birth. It was terrifying. No one in the hospital seemed worried either, no one validated we were worried. That unknown was way harder than birth.

I had my next three out of hospital, obviously no pain medication.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote