Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I went into my first delivery determined to do it all natural. Unfortunately, my DS was breach, they did an ECV and then decided I needed to be induced right then. I probably could have refused the induction, but even now I don't regret it, I'm pretty confident he would have turned back breach and I would have had a csection. But the induction was no piece of cake. I was still determined to go without pain meds and I wish I had. They began with a foley bulb which wasn't too bad. It came out 16 hours later and I was 5cm, but baby hadn't dropped to my cervix yet so they could break my water. So they started low dose pitocin. It took another 11 hours to get him low enough to break my water. At that point they upped my pitocin and real labor officially started. But I was exhausted because I had been having contractions for 28 hours already and couldn't sleep. I went another 6 hours before caving on the epi.
Thats when all my reasons for not getting another one begin:
1. As soon as it kicked it I felt like I couldn't breathe, which was scary. I was on oxygen quite a bit the rest of labor.
2. I literally could not feel anything at all! I did get a little nap, but it was miserable to not be able to move anything but my arms and head. It wasn't a restful thing at all, and since my body was still working hard with the contractions, I wasn't really resting, I just couldn't feel the work going on.
3. I could not feel to push at all. They kept asking me if I could feel pressure or anything, but I couldn't. I ended up pushing for 3 hours! It was awful and I know the epi kept me from pushing effectively.
4. After he was born and they removed it, I still couldn't feel anything. It took 4 hours just to begin to feel a little bit. The nurses looked at me like I was crazy when I collapsed into their arms when they were getting me into a wheel chair.
5. I shook uncontrollably for hours after the birth. If they hadn't taken my son for 4 hours in the nursery for observation I don't know how I could have held him.
6. It took a full 12 hours before I could stand on my own. Thankfully my DH was there, I don't know what I would have done without him.
7. My bladder control was pretty much non existent for a week after delivery. It was horrible to pee the floor when I stood up. My entire bladder would empty and I couldn't do anything about it!
I think that's about it. I won't be getting one ever again. If I had had a better experience I probably wouldn't be so dead set against it. I understand why women get them if they have a better experience than me. But it's definitely not my thing!

Advertisement

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you chose a natural birth....

My last 2 were no pain meds because I went to fast.
If you go to fast to get pain meds, then just listen to your body!

I had this whole "plan" for pain management, but things went to fast, that I tried different positions and the only thing that made me feel the slightest in control was laying on my side and pushing against DH's hand. I was also very vocal. (Deep 'ahhhhhs')
Push when your body tells you, and trust me...you'll know!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I'm afraid of needles, don't like hospitals, like being in control of my body + I like feeling fine right after.

Add in I get to stay home and it's wonderful. Dd1 was an unmediated hospital birth.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
1st child- no time for epidural.

2nd, didn't want one, but after so long on pit, couldn't take it any more.
Epidural was only in about an hour, just took the edge off so my muscles could relax enough to progress and let Baby out.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
Just wondering, is a spinal tap the same procedure? Is the pain the same?
Yup! I had the spinal tap (AKA lumbar puncture) done while I was pregnant, and the clinician doing it described how it's the same sized needle, the same location in the spine, the only difference might be how deep the needle goes (some epidurals go into the area outside the spinal fluid, others go all the way into the fluid), but she said this isn't a big enough difference for the patient to notice during the procedure itself. She said that a spinal vs an epidural is only the difference between taking something out (spinal fluid) or putting something in (anesthesia). Many of the potential side effects are the same too. Spinal headache, risk of paralysis, whenever you mess with the spine things can go wrong.

I'm not anti-epidurals, they can be a god send for many women. But that spinal tap told me I did NOT want one for labor. I have a curved spine and this poor woman needed 3 tries getting the needle in, she said she had never needed more than 2 before. Afterwards she told me I probably shouldn't get an epidural during labor for this reason. I still shudder at the idea of that needle in my spine.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka
Yup! I had the spinal tap (AKA lumbar puncture) done while I was pregnant, and the clinician doing it described how it's the same sized needle, the same location in the spine, the only difference might be how deep the needle goes (some epidurals go into the area outside the spinal fluid, others go all the way into the fluid), but she said this isn't a big enough difference for the patient to notice during the procedure itself. She said that a spinal vs an epidural is only the difference between taking something out (spinal fluid) or putting something in (anesthesia). Many of the potential side effects are the same too. Spinal headache, risk of paralysis, whenever you mess with the spine things can go wrong. I'm not anti-epidurals, they can be a god send for many women. But that spinal tap told me I did NOT want one for labor. I have a curved spine and this poor woman needed 3 tries getting the needle in, she said she had never needed more than 2 before. Afterwards she told me I probably shouldn't get an epidural during labor for this reason. I still shudder at the idea of that needle in my spine.
3 tries! No!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
Belbaby3728
Banned

I didn't want one for all reasons listed. My dd was back labor until pushing when she finally turned. After 12 hours of active labor and back to back contractions I has to get an epidural in fear I was going to collapse from exhaustion. I had some stuff against me though: dd was 35 weeks, I had not been tested for gbs yet so had to have antibiotics every 4 hours in which they ran iv fluids with. This contributed to extreme swelling in my legs and feet. I only had a shower and water was all that was making contractions bareable. Between back labor and my own chronic back issues I could not sit or lay down comfortably at all. I squatted some or sat on toilet but could not tolerate it for long. Went 8cms before crashed due to all this. And we had a doula and even she was in agreement with our choice, we tried many things to get baby to rotate earlier without luck.

I am hoping for a much quicker labor in December and hopefully not another back labor and staying drug free!
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
amykins
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
Why I chose a med free birth:

1) Epidurals freak me out. I don't like needles, so someone stabbing a giant one in my back is a no-go for me. Being numb from the waist down also means that I'm stuck in a hospital bed, which is not my idea of a good time, either.

2) I generally dislike unnecessary medications. Drugs are hard on your body, and I prefer to avoid them unless they're genuinely needed.

3) Any intervention sets the stage for more interventions. High epidural rates correspond with higher c section rates. Being stuck in a bed puts you in a less than optimal birthing position, which also makes more interventions more likely. Not that a med free birth guarantees you won't end up in the OBs preferred position, but if you can still move you at least have a chance of doing something different.

Those were the big ones. There's also some stuff about babies tending to be more alert when mom hasn't had an epidural and other less tangible things. That said, having actually given birth now, I totally get why women do opt for an epidural. I still don't want one in the future for all the reasons listed above, but I'm less opinionated about what other women should choose for themselves. I do think that women should be more aware of all the pros and cons of an epidural so they can make a fully informed decision. Given their prevalence, people talk and act like it's the only way to birth and that it's 100% safe 100% of the time. While I don't think most people suffer long term effects, there is still risk, and spinal headaches are not fun. I also think that everyone should have some coping techniques anyway, because there's always the chance the epidural won't work or that there won't be time for one.
All of this. Plus, with DS1 I had IV drugs (can't remember exactly) and even that made me feel super loopy and have a harder time bonding. The recovery with births 2 and 3 (no pain meds at all) was much better, as well. There is no way I would choose an epidural at this point, especially since my labors have gotten progressively faster.
amykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #29
calvinhickey
Registered Users

My sister was given epidural at the time of pregnancy .Till now she has a back pain all time.So in my opinion i would always choose natural birth.
calvinhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #30
lilysmom2011
Registered Users
seller

I had a failed epidural with my first and no epidural with my second... For me, contractions aren't that bad, it's when it's time to push that really hurts. While I'm not completely against getting an epidural with this baby, I will probably opt to go without. With my second birth, I was up and walking within a few hours. I also was allowed to go home 10 hours after birth.' (My midwife did a home visit late that day). As much as I love being in the hospital, it was nice to be home so soon...I would definitely consider a home birth if we didn't live so far away from the hospital.
lilysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote