Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Favorite Wrap or Mei Tai??

I'm looking for a good wrap or mei tai - maybe even conversion as I'm looking into 'em all. Has anyone tried the Hoppediz Hop-Tye?

What other brands and/or styles do you like?

This would be for a 29-30 lb four year old..and would primarily be worn by me - a plus size mama. Buckles are probably nice, but something with great support (or not gonna kill my back/shoulders) would be handy. I had gotten away from babywearing a while ago...but now that we're in the midst of cancer treatments (her story is in the link in my siggy) with her, I know carrying her will happen more often...and I'm okay with that!

I know I asked a similar question recently, but I'm thinking wider shoulders and/or wraps seem to work well simply because they offer such versatility and comfort. Your experiences?

Laura ~ Mommy to our two little boys and our lil Princess
I have a HUGE ISO / IHA with pics available of anything, upon request! (Too many items to list every one with pics! )
ForeverYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Favorite Wrap or Mei Tai??

I never liked wraps so I can't be much help there. Even wrap style straps on my mei tais bugged me. I always wound up feeling really hot and it took longer to put them on than my Mei Tais did. I've had quite a few Mei Tais and I always found I preferred my Freehand (mine was one of the old ones from when Kare owned the store). I wore my youngest from 4weeks-4years pretty much daily and he was over 40lbs at 4years. I also like Kozy fairly well, the benefit with Kozy is that it has a larger body which might be good with a taller child who will be sleeping often. I was plus sized when I was wearing him routinely and found both comfortable, and found Freehand most comfortable but each person is going to have a personal preference.
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Lman's Mom
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have a moby wrap and I love it. However, i'm not sure what the weight/age limit is on it as my little one is only 12 1/2 weeks old. I'm slightly on the bigger side and this works well. Hope this helps a bit.
Lman's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Registered Users

We really liked our Kozy Carrier Mei Tai. My daughter was very heavy and it worked great for her. Just pulled it out of storage for our soon to be new little one
Mama through birth and foster care adoption to: DS 9, DD 6, and baby girl born 10/2013
Checkout My Blog: No Bohn's About It
superbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Users

I love my Girasols!!! Deag Black Weft, Gleam of Sun and Rainbow Springs are my favorite weaves, but I love the length of my size 4 Night Diamonds! I am hoping I love Kokadi as well as I have one on the way.
Wanna3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Registered Users

Hmm, haven't quite found the freehand mei tai love yet, but I am still wearing it and breaking it in. Love my gira wrap and ergo best
smilesoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Registered Users

I LOVE my Hoppediz OMT wcmt . I've had it for a little over a month now and it is my go-to wrap for sure! I also have 2 giras, one size 3 and one size 6. I prefer the shorty now that my babe is 8 months, but the 6 was perfect for newborn back carries.
Raychel_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:
My favorite Mei tai for my 12lb 4mo DD3 is a didytai (WCMT from didymos). I use it almost every day.
But my 30lb 22mo DD2 is just too big for it and it is not comfy for me. Same with my 30lb 3.5 yo DD1. For them I used a Kozy Mei tai - perfect for them! Technically I could also use it for my 4mo.
The Kozy has straps wide enough to support heavy weight and distribute it at the shoulders.
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote