Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #131
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75

I have to disagree. Most of the tracts I come across are exactly like thes ones in the link. Def. scare tactics, doesn't seem to matter what time of year. I've had one left on my car about how you'll go to hell for celebrating xmas.
Do you know what kind of church is leaving them? That sounds like an over the top independent evangelical type church. I know for a fact I have never seen any kinds of those tracts in mainstream churches. And no church I have heard of condemns celebrating Christmas..... Those tracts are NOT the norm in your typical Christian church.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #132
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Maybe they aren't common in your church, but I've seen them in multiple churches, and have gotten them from door to door people before, too. I've probably come across at least 20 of them in my life. They're horrible.

The last one I ended up with had a whole section entitled HOMOSEXUALS GO TO HELL (all caps and bolded) with graphic pictures of men being burned by fire.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #133
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees
Maybe they aren't common in your church, but I've seen them in multiple churches, and have gotten them from door to door people before, too. I've probably come across at least 20 of them in my life. They're horrible.

The last one I ended up with had a whole section entitled HOMOSEXUALS GO TO HELL (all caps and bolded) with graphic pictures of men being burned by fire.
I have asked multiple times....What kind of church are y'all getting these from?

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #134
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post

Well, Southern Baptist "type" could be a lot of different things. We have been in four different states, NC, FL, AL, and ID over the last 19 years. All but one was heavily involved in outreach missions and I have NEVER seen any tracts like that. We have been in Southern Baptist and Independent Baptist. Dh was/is also a deacon so he sees a lot. Honestly that is scare tactics and turns even me off!

While I don't doubt they are out there, I don't believe those are the norm at all and certainly not from a mainstream type church.

Lol. We are in vegas and get at least 5 chick tracts every Halloween. Here it is the evangelicals that hand them out. They are disgusting things to hand out to kids.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #135
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post

Lol. We are in vegas and get at least 5 chick tracts every Halloween. Here it is the evangelicals that hand them out. They are disgusting things to hand out to kids.
Wow. I've never seen anything like that. Someone who gave that to my kids would be getting a price of my mind. The ones I've seen are not like that. I wouldn't be happy about getting tracts period, but those are awful.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #136
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had several churches that handed the scary tracts out when I was in high school and took my younger sisters around trick or treating. I am not sure who all the churches were. there were at least 4 that handed them out. One that did it every year was the lifequest church. The pastor of the first baptist church handed out tracts every year, not every year was the scary ones, but some years were.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #137
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
I have asked multiple times....What kind of church are y'all getting these from?

Honestly, I don't know and don't care. Never read them long enough to get to a "come to our church at...", kwim. I don't like spam mail, whether in goes to my in-box, mail box, car window, or kid's trick or treat bag.

What exactly do you mean when you say you don't see them in mainstream churches? Evangelical is mainstream.

Last edited by blackberry75; 10-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #138
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have those crazy pamphlets here too. I have had them handed to me at the Idaho State Fair, left on my car in a parking lot, handed to my children on Halloween, left on my door step.

No fun at all.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #139
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
The church I got them from was a very nice church. They were very child friendly, we had lovely Easter egg hunts, fun Sunday school activities and I never felt all fire & brimstone there. My dad & step-mom were married there when I was small, back in the early 80's. I remember reading the tracts but I can't remember who gave them to me. Maybe they were usually for adults yet somebody still gave them to me? This church was NOTHING like the cult my DH was raised in. I could see that church having those passed out.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #140
Rina Roo
Registered Users

That tract made me laugh. I've never seen one of those before, and I've attended a lot of churches.
Rina Roo is offline   Reply With Quote