Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #141
P!nkPepper's Avatar
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,579
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rina Roo View Post
That tract made me laugh. I've never seen one of those before, and I've attended a lot of churches.
They are pretty stupid as an adult. As a 5 yo they were nighmare inducing. But I was also a kid terrified of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

Advertisement

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #142
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 5,288
My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

The chick tracts aren't associated with any one church, they are designed to evangelize to people with. Anyone with the funds and agrees with them can buy them and hand them out.

I have to say I am seriously shocked, that so many of you haven't seen them maybe it's because you are the not the sinners they are searching for?? Having been raised Catholic, we definitely needed the saving according to Chick, so they appeared in the back of the church sometimes, I have seen they at fairs in the states, been handed them multiple times, at work, in malls, on buses, so many places, found them in libraries, in colleges, in trick or treat bags, chick tracts are so common, we can recognize them immediately. Again I am shocked anybody hadn't seen them, heck I have even seen them here in the UK.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #143
debcita429's Avatar
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,277
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

With some of this stuff, I would love to know what they do with this verse:

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with GENTLENESS and RESPECT....--1 Peter 3:15

Or, in Chick's preferred translation of the Bible, it would read with "meekness."
__________________

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #144
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 5,288
My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Honestly read the site, it has a lot of detail of what their belief is, and lots of scripture to line up to his version of things. He has lots of fans, as proven by the longevity of the tracts. He does like a heavy hand though, that is for sure.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #145
eliz7's Avatar
eliz7
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,494
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat
The chick tracts aren't associated with any one church, they are designed to evangelize to people with. Anyone with the funds and agrees with them can buy them and hand them out.

I have to say I am seriously shocked, that so many of you haven't seen them maybe it's because you are the not the sinners they are searching for?? Having been raised Catholic, we definitely needed the saving according to Chick, so they appeared in the back of the church sometimes, I have seen they at fairs in the states, been handed them multiple times, at work, in malls, on buses, so many places, found them in libraries, in colleges, in trick or treat bags, chick tracts are so common, we can recognize them immediately. Again I am shocked anybody hadn't seen them, heck I have even seen them here in the UK.
I'd never even heard of a tract before ds, let alone these particular ones. I'm 39 and have never seen them. I've lived in California, New York, New Jersey and Georgia and travelled all over Europe and parts of Asia.

I'm an atheist so maybe I give off a silent "don't hand me crap vibe"
__________________
~Elizabeth RN~
Proud Mama to
Hannah (5/98), Parker(3/01), Sofia (7/03) and Lily(10/10)
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #146
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,715
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

I have never ever ever seen a tract like the one posted. I have see tracts before. Had them placed on my car, handed to me as I was cashiering at CVS, and seen them passed out at various bridal and baby shows. But every single one I have seen has been just a bible verse or prayer, some sort of "Jesus saves" type of statement and then a church invite. Never any of that horror stuff. Ever.
__________________
Kim-married to Dan
Mama to Caiti (17), Rae Rae (4), Dani Lee(2), and CJ, born 10/12/12.
Stuff From Kim's Kloset That Special Moment Photography Also come check out Swagbucks with me!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #147
CandiceM's Avatar
CandiceM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,400
My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

If my kid is in your home playing with his/her friend and you're just going about your day, saying grace, etc - I don't have an issue with that. I would have an issue with trying to influence my child. We are not believers and while we are willing to answer questions that come up due to them seeing differences in beliefs with their friends, I wouldn't be happy hearing that somebody sat my kid down and told them about God and such.
__________________
Candice - wife to Ben, mama to Josiah - 4/4/02, Avonlea - 1/4/08, our little angel, lost to T13, Finley Grace - 8/18/10 - 8/19/10, Harlow Grace - 11/25/11 and sweet baby Jude - 12/20/13
CandiceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #148
holly6737's Avatar
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,398
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

No, it's not ok, IMO. At least in the sense of true prostelytizing, as opposed to informing of religious beliefs in the spirit of celebrating religious diversity and promoting tolerance. For example, if a friend told my kid, "Well we're Catholics and so this is what we believe about this or that or whatever" or "Well, we're Muslims and so this is what we believe about this or that" or "Well we're atheist and so this is what we believe...", that's totally fine with me. But to say, "Well, we're Southern Baptists and you need to accept Jesus in your heart or you're going to burn!" or even to give a tract in the hopes to win my kid over, then Absolutely Not.

I know encountering people who try to save my kid's soul is inevitable, but my goal is to give my kids such a solid ground in what we DO believe (equality for all, the beauty of religious pluralism, etc.) that when they encounter fundamentalists and religious radicals in their every day life that they will feel confident enough to be able to say to themselves "That's complete hogwash."
holly6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #149
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 5,288
My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
I'd never even heard of a tract before ds, let alone these particular ones. I'm 39 and have never seen them. I've lived in California, New York, New Jersey and Georgia and travelled all over Europe and parts of Asia.

I'm an atheist so maybe I give off a silent "don't hand me crap vibe"
I am from California myself and I am honestly shocked you haven't seen them. Have you seen any of his "comic" style tracts? Not all of them are as scary, but all of them are done in a comic form. I have to say in some circles they are so popular, that Atheists, Wiccans and a few others I have heard, have also done their own versions to hand back to the people evangelizing.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #150
eliz7's Avatar
eliz7
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,494
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat

I am from California myself and I am honestly shocked you haven't seen them. Have you seen any of his "comic" style tracts? Not all of them are as scary, but all of them are done in a comic form. I have to say in some circles they are so popular, that Atheists, Wiccans and a few others I have heard, have also done their own versions to hand back to the people evangelizing.
Never. Seriously. I thought only JW gave pamphlets out. I had then come to my house once about 7 years ago and they never came back.
I live a pretty secular life and don't seem to come across those types(people who give tracts out)of religious people.

Personally as an atheist I wouldn't waste my time giving info out to religious people to poke fun of them or hassle them in any way. I'm much more a live and let live person when it comes to strangers on the street.
__________________
~Elizabeth RN~
Proud Mama to
Hannah (5/98), Parker(3/01), Sofia (7/03) and Lily(10/10)
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.