Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #161
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

I remember those stupid chick tracts when I was a child trick or treating... We are taking the boys trick or treating on Thursday and quite frankly if I see someone handing them out I wont hesitate to tell them to keep their religious propaganda.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #162
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaBirch View Post
I remember those stupid chick tracts when I was a child trick or treating... We are taking the boys trick or treating on Thursday and quite frankly if I see someone handing them out I wont hesitate to tell them to keep their religious propaganda.
I would have given it back immediately but my 12 yo went ToTing with his friends & their dad & mom. I took the "babies". We went a different route.

Jodie ~ Wife & Mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #163
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

This thread reminds me when some parents were complaining that our high school mascot "Red Devil" should be changed.

I guess there were enough complains that we had to vote on keeping the Devil or....changing to "The Chrysanthemums". The entire class was laughing about it and joked about how stupid it would be to be wearing jerseys with flowers. The devils won by a landslide of course. I mean the school was the Red Devils since the '70s for crying out loud
Old 10-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #164
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by P!nkPepper View Post
Bumping this because we did a ToT night in my community in NE Ohio & sure enough, my oldest came home with a Chick tract. "The Devil's Night". I yanked that sucker so fast. This was a Baptist church that put them in a baggie with 2 small pieces of candy. Not thrilled BUT I caught it fast enough .

Jodie ~ Wife & Mama
That's terrible! I would call and let them know how I felt about it. I know my kids have gotten them in their bags before, but we didn't know for sure which house they came from.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #165
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm going to regret asking this probably, but am I understanding this correctly: someone went ToT'ing at a church and got offended that the church put a tract in with candy? And they should call the church to complain? I don't think I'd do it myself, but I'd hardly be offended at any house of worship that gave me literature along with the candy if I went ToT'ing at their booth or place.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #166
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I'm going to regret asking this probably, but am I understanding this correctly: someone went ToT'ing at a church and got offended that the church put a tract in with candy? And they should call the church to complain? I don't think I'd do it myself, but I'd hardly be offended at any house of worship that gave me literature along with the candy if I went ToT'ing at their booth or place.
Have YOU seen a Chick tract? I am the offended party. I don't give two toots if my child got some CHILD FRIENDLY, Jesus loves you type info from a church. However, scarying the crap out of my kid with some crappy cartoon is not cool. While this isn't as scary as some I had the pleasure of reading when I was little, it isn't nice either. I don't know of anybody that ever got saved from something evil like those things. They use fear to get people to attend church & insult people of other religions. Not cool.

Also, I didn't take my child ToTing at a church, my neighbor did (she took the older boys) since the church is in the middle of a residential street a block over . I wouldn't waste my time calling that church. Nor would I allow my son to attend anything that took place there. Not after getting that. And he has asked to go to their ice cream socials too.

Jodie ~ Wife & Mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #167
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by P!nkPepper View Post
Have YOU seen a Chick tract? I am the offended party. I don't give two toots if my child got some CHILD FRIENDLY, Jesus loves you type info from a church. However, scarying the crap out of my kid with some crappy cartoon is not cool. While this isn't as scary as some I had the pleasure of reading when I was little, it isn't nice either. I don't know of anybody that ever got saved from something evil like those things. They use fear to get people to attend church & insult people of other religions. Not cool.

Also, I didn't take my child ToTing at a church, my neighbor did (she took the older boys) since the church is in the middle of a residential street a block over . I wouldn't waste my time calling that church. Nor would I allow my son to attend anything that took place there. Not after getting that. And he has asked to go to their ice cream socials too.

Jodie ~ Wife & Mama
I am sure their intention was not to turn you off to the church. But, to be upset that they passed out literature when you came to them is a bit hypocritical. Definitely skip them next year if you are upset about the literature. But, don't get upset about them putting their ideas out there when your kids came to them. I understand that your friend took them and not you. But, they don't know that. Get upset with your friend if you want.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #168
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by P!nkPepper
Have YOU seen a Chick tract? I am the offended party. I don't give two toots if my child got some CHILD FRIENDLY, Jesus loves you type info from a church. However, scarying the crap out of my kid with some crappy cartoon is not cool. While this isn't as scary as some I had the pleasure of reading when I was little, it isn't nice either. I don't know of anybody that ever got saved from something evil like those things. They use fear to get people to attend church & insult people of other religions. Not cool. Also, I didn't take my child ToTing at a church, my neighbor did (she took the older boys) since the church is in the middle of a residential street a block over . I wouldn't waste my time calling that church. Nor would I allow my son to attend anything that took place there. Not after getting that. And he has asked to go to their ice cream socials too. Jodie ~ Wife & Mama
What is a chick tract?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #169
iceeholic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I am sure their intention was not to turn you off to the church. But, to be upset that they passed out literature when you came to them is a bit hypocritical. Definitely skip them next year if you are upset about the literature. But, don't get upset about them putting their ideas out there when your kids came to them. I understand that your friend took them and not you. But, they don't know that. Get upset with your friend if you want.
This!
iceeholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #170
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is one http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1071/1071_01.asp