Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
AFWIFE87
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Where to start?

My son will be four in February and I plan to start pre-k ( is this even a grade lol) next fall. I am curious where everyone started when they started pre-k or k? We already use abc mouse and star fall. We do weekly alphabet letters (recognition, sound, big and little letter, and multiple examples of what starts with that letter, a craft, puzzles, games, coloring/painting/play-doh, etc) He knows his ABC's by recognition and by singing them, can tell me tandem things that start with each letter. He can use scissors, write his name and most of his brother's name.. He wants to learn how to read. Basically, he's smart. I am biased though

Should I start him on "learn to read" books?

What else can I do with him? I think he should go right into kindergarten.. What is a good starting place for K?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Wife, Believer, Friend & Mama to: Henry & Sullivan & expecting boy #3 in August!
AFWIFE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

If he's interested in reading but not mature enough for a full curriculum you could try "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" (it's about $15 new). Otherwise it sounds like your child is more then ready for any kindergarten curriculum.
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Re: Where to start?

after my DD learned the letter sounds and began reading CVC combos on Starfall, we began reading BOB books. Progressiverphonics.com is similar and free. You may like that. We checked out leapfrog videos from the library (letter factory--I think is the phonics ones). We also read, read read. Another fun phonics curriculum, which is actually a bunch of games is Happy Phonics.

We are using Songlight P 4/5 now for Pre-K and K. (I have a 4 and 5 yo.) and I have Explode the Code for my DD, but when she was at your son's age and was beginning to read, they wouldn't have been good for her b/c she was not writing yet, and ETC has a lot of writing in it. I used Handwriting without tears Pre-K and Family Math for math. That was about it at Pre-K. Now, I use Miquon for K math b/c it's fun and uses the cuisinare rods and is very discovery based and not so much "sit down and do a bunch of math problems"

HTH
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
AFWIFE87
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama's! 3rugrats that helps alot, thanks! I have heard good things about Sonlight and Miquon. I have never heard of Explode the Code, but it sounds like something fun! He is definitely not a "sit down and do a bunch of work" type of person, but what 3/4 year old boy is? We have Leapfrog Letter Factory he's been watching it for a bit.. he's bored, basically with it. I definitely want him to learn how to write with a pencil before he learns the computer, but I am a bit old fashioned like that.
Wife, Believer, Friend & Mama to: Henry & Sullivan & expecting boy #3 in August!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

All we do for kindergarten is learn to read and basic math. And we start when the child is ready. My oldest started both just before she turned 5, my son did basic math before he started learning to read (did reading when he would've been going to school, had we gone the publics school route), and my youngest did the opposite of her big brother (reading early, but math when she would've "normally" started school).
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Before 5 In a row

Deirdre~ Momma to Emily (6), Lilly (4.5), Joseph (3), Maggie (15 months) & TTC #5. Married to the love of my life, Joe. Sent from my iPad using DS forum.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

I am enjoying Sonlight p4/5 with my 4.5 year old. I almost did Peak With Books, but went this route after trying out the first three weeks with their free sample online. We use it for what we call "couch time" each day.

For math I started using and am now in love with Right Start. It's math as I've never seen it before. It's fun, conceptual, and works at mastery through games. There's minimal writing. I debated between it, Sinapore, and Miquon. Now there's no turning back.

Reading: Logic Of English is about as hands on and whole-body utilizing as any program I have ever seen. Plus it explains the hows and whys of the English language. Phonics. Museum is great if you want to incorporate fine art. All About Reading is much more hands on than say the popular 100 Lessons, Ordinary Parent's Guide, etc, because it includes phonogram tiles you play with while learning to read, besides fluency sheets and beautiful readers.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
shortandsweet
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is similar to your son - she will be 4 next month. After she knew all her letters, we learned all the letter sounds, and then we started working on sounding out little cvc words. We are working through the BOB books right now (halfway through set 2) and she is really getting the hang of reading! We try to work on it for just a few minutes each day - we have letter flashcards where she will tell me the sounds, and then she reads me one BOB book.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
AFWIFE87
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of your input! I really appreciate it. I am writing all of these suggestions down